starting strength gym
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Waters' World

Cool Waters' World

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Howdy, all!

I'm trying to get really strong. All help is good help and all criticism is funny.

Life Sparknotes: Naturally skinny and slow. Played football. Got kinda big for football (205 big). Got sick. Lost 30lbs in 1 week. Have been weaker for a while. Saw Rip on Louder With Crowder. Got the book. Did the Program. Not really. Currently doing the program for real.

Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 259.6 lbs
    What makes me a special snowflake: pectus excavatum (minor but still)

Squat: 265x5x3
    Press: 160x5x3
    Deadlift: the main problem, but ~300
    Bench: 207.5x5x3
    Powerclean: 155x3x5

Next order of business will be to upload some videos and post tomorrow's workout. Maybe even earlier ones.

I look forward to interacting with you internet people.

Welcome. Good start. What is your main problem with Deadlift?

My main problem with the DL seems to be an issue of not keeping my lower back straight, especially when I get tired. In the past, I had too wide of a grip, didn't put my knees out, and didn't pull my chest up. Based on recent examination of my deadlift and cleans, I think I also go too far forward on my feet and have a crappy way of getting the bar down. For your viewing consideration:

Deadlift from March: Deadlift 3/6/17 - YouTube
    Most recent DL (6/20/17): 6/20/17 - YouTube
    Tonights Powercleans: YouTube

I wached a video of Michael Wolf after I failed a set of PC today, and I saw him lean back after setting up and was inspired. The cleans felt a lot better and I look forward to trying it on the DL. Regardless, critique away!

Cool Workout 6/22/2017 AKA Birthday Gainz

I don't know about you, but I'm feeling 22.

Squat: 270x5x3
    Bench: 210x5x3
    Power Clean: 155x2 (fail), 150x3x5 (first two warmups were snatches just to play with the grip)
    Weight: 260.4
    Foodstuffs: 3/4 gal milk, biscuit+gravy, 1 egg, 2 sausage, 2 bacon, 3 taco, 2 turkey sandwich, carrots, goldfish, bannana, 2 snickers ice cream, creatine mono
    Sleep: 7 hours last night, expecting 2.5 tonight then a trip to NJ after work and a long sleep upon arrival.

Links:
    Squat - Squat 270x5 6/22/17 - YouTube
    Bench - Bench 210x5 6/22/17 - YouTube
    Cleans - Powercleans 6/22/17 - YouTube
    Bonus: Snatch warmup/testing - Power Snatch Playtime 6/22/17 - YouTube

Squats felt great. I was alone, but bench was pretty good despite no spotter. Cleans got better over time.

Happy birthday. Oh to be 22 again as variation on George Burns.

Your analysis of your Deadlift is pretty good. A couple more observations: You are still leaning too far forward. You don't seem to fully lock out at the top, which may be related to your leaning. Also, keep you neck straight. Put your gaze on a spot on the floor a few feet in front of you and pretty much keep it there.

Thanks for the tips and b-day wishes. I take it from your comments that I am looking too far forward? Also, I often find it easier to get into position if I keep my back from rounding too much when I go to grab the bar. That shouldn't cause any issues, right?

no issues. but believe it or not looking down helps you to lift better.

Celebrating a Chael P. victory.

Squat: 275x5x3
    Press: 155x5x3
    Deadlift: 295x5
    Weight: 263
    Foodstuffs: Cheerios, 1/2 gal milk, big turkey sandwhich, bannana, 4 chicken salad croissantes, some watermelon, pint of chunky monkey, probably another snack
    Sleep: About 11 hours

Link: Work Sets 6/24/17 - YouTube
    I forgot to tape the deads, but much thanks to carson. All your advice was super helpful and I'm gonna keep working to improve on keeping my eyes down and weight back. Also, standing up all the way did help my descent as well.
    Last edited by Dale Waters; 06-24-2017 at 11:57 PM.

Your observation on standing all the way up is a good one. The lockout at top is almost (almost) restful. The story goes that a lock out at the top could be held for quite some time if you can keep your grip. There are videos of elite lifters holding the lock out and posing for the camera for a few seconds. Holding over 1000 pounds is quite a feet and would be impossible if one did not lock out.

starting strength coach development program
    The sun specifically targeted my chest, shoulders, and traps. I blame the harsh political climate.

Deadlift: 305x5
    Barbell Curl: 70x8x3
    Pride: shatteredx3
    Weight: 163.8
    Foodstuffs: 4 eggs, english muffin, carrots, turkey sandwhich, rack of ribs, pear, muffin, 1 scoop coffee icecream, 3 scoops protein, 1/2 gal milk
    Sleep: 8 hours

I got a horrific sunburn during my weekend shennanigans in NJ, to the point where most exercises would serve only to rend the flesh from my back. I did the only 2 exercises possible in my condition; Deadlifts and curls. I also forgot to video tape them, but the form was good. I'm currently in a power/oly/strongman gym near my school, and it was mortifying to curl in front of the nice people there, particularly the hot girl doing 5 sets of 15 muscle ups a few months after shoulder surgery. Seriously though, I figured it was best to get in what I could. I'll try to get a bar onto my back Thursday, assuming I don't overdose on aloevera, apple cider vinager, and moisterizure.
    Last edited by Dale Waters; 06-28-2017 at 05:14 AM.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast