starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grumpy Old Biker's LP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    25 lbs lifts. You are a mathematical genius. Did you use a 15 lbs bar and two 5 lbs plates? Whatever works. I can barely keep track of my plates. You did it with a lighter bar.
    Sorry to disappoint but it was just a dumbbell held up on the chest. Technically a goblet squat I suppose. He likes dumbbells better too. But I could have him use the fixed weight barbells, which go down to 20lbs.

Monday, July 10:

8 minute warm up on the elliptical

DL - 200lbs (1, 5)
    He got confused about how many times to do it so ended up starting with a single.

FSQ - 65lbs (3x5)
    Still hip pain when coming back up.

Leg Press - 90lbs (1x10)
    Just to see if these hurt less. It didn't seem to.

Cable Row - A few
    I just had him do a few to try. These also bother his shoulder.

Dips - 50kg assistance (3x10)

C2 - 10 minutes

No bench today because the 2 benches had lines of people waiting and we would have been waiting too long. I suggested dumbbells but he decided not to risk his shoulder.

I know he isn't really following any real program. Basically, I am using the template and then seeing what he can do, and what he will do. I don't think he will continue if I try to make him do the program as written. I am already happy that he is doing this so I am being flexible and going with how he feels on a particular day.

Thursday, July 13:

8 minutes warm up on Elliptical

BP - 110lbs (3x5)
    He couldn't get the bar all the way to his cheat without risking his shoulder giving out. He refused to reduce the weight though. Too heavy, the weight will be lowered to where he can reliably go all the way down, until his shoulder gets better.

DL - 205lbs (1x5)
    He likes these because they don't hurt. They are hard but he can see the improvement.

FSQ - 75lbs (5x3)
    I gave him the choice between leg press and squats and he actually picked these. He hates them but also wants to get better at squats. He is surprisingly stubborn.

C2 - 10 minutes

He still wants to switch to 3 days because he feels out of practice every time he gets back in the gym, as if he is starting over. However, 2 weeks vacation starts Saturday so there won't be any training until after.

Give him a congrats on the bodyweight deadlifts. Thats really quite impressive.

He didn't seem too impressed with having lifted his bodyweight.

Back from vacation though and trying 3 days per week. I am giving him some leeway with some things, going by hiw he feels.

Monday, July 31: 207lbs

Warm up on elliptical

DL - 185lbs (1x5)
    He wanted to start with more weight but I think he was happy to have kept it lower.

FSQ - 65lbs (1x5)
    These still hurt his hip so I think leg press will be better for him.

BP - 85lbs (3x5)
    He is still having shoulder problems. He can touch his chest, but I think I will only have him add weight if he can still get full ROM. He cuts it off too high when it gets heavier because he is worried about his shoulder. Maybe just add reps from there.

Assisted Dips - 50kg (1x10)
    Just stretching.

Leg Press - 70lbs (2x5, 2x10)
    No pain. He likes these.

10 min Bike

Wednesday, August 2:

Warm up on elliptical

DL - 235lbs (1x5)
    I smashed my finger setting up my own deadlifts and had to leave him alone for a few minutes while I took care of the bleeding. I told him to start warming up but I was away for a bit longer than expected. He had just finished 235 when I got back. Apparently he forgot the bar weighs 45lbs. He was aiming to lift 205 but counted the bar as 15. Oh well. He said it felt super easy, and he probably would not have even tried if he had known the actual weight.

Leg Press - 90lbs (3x10)
    I told him to do 80 but he wanted more. I am not sure why he asks me to tell him what to do. He doesn't listen anyway 😉 Whatever, let him have fun while getting stronger. At least he is not wasting time with endless cardio and dinky exercises.

BP - 95lbs (3x5)

10 min Bike

He actually felt good by the end. Normally he feels pretty beat but he was happy and felt like he accomplished something. We'll see how he feels tomorrow.

No ill effects from Wesnesday. He actually hasn't had any DOMS since he started. He would feel tired after, and definitely felt stairs took more effort. This time he doesn't feel tired at all.

Friday, August 4:

Warm up on elliptical

DL - 185lbs (3x5)
    He tweaked his knee at work earlier today (old injury) and he could feel it warming up so the weight was kept a bit lower to be safe.

BP - 100lbs (3x5)
    Getting tougher. Maybe 2.5lb increases would be good for him. It's hard to tell if he is having difficulty just because he is favouring one side, and should maybe stay at that weight, or if it really is heavy.

Leg Press - 90lbs (3x10)
    Same weight because of his knee also.

10 minute bike

Monday, August 7:

Warm up on elliptical
    BP - 105lbs (3x5)
    DL - 205lbs (1x5)
    Leg Press - 90lbs (3x10)
    Ass. Dips/Chins as stretch - 50kg (1x10) each
    Bike for 10 minutes

Wednesday, August 9:

Warm up on elliptical
    DL - 185lbs (1x5)
    BP - 110lbs (3x5!)
    Leg Press - 105lbs (3x10)
    Bike for 10 minutes

Deadlift was reduced a bit because his back hurt today because he was having a really busy week at work that required weird positions all day so. No knee problems since that one time last week and his shoulder seems to be slowly getting better.

Friday, August 11:

Warm up on elliptical
    DL - 210lbs (1x5)
    BP - 115lbs (3x5!)
    Plate SQ - 45lbs (1x10), 35lbs (1x10), 25lbs (1x10)
    Bike for 10 minutes

Leg Press machine was taken so he played with squats a bit. Something about the movement just hurts his hip though, right as he gets a couple inches above parallel. Even when he tried with no weight, varying stances. I don't know why. Leg press doesn't hurt at all, and he does use full ROM.

He is always reluctant to increase weights. He just wants to stay at the same weights "until it gets easier" but I can usually get him to add a bit more, unless it's a pain issue.

I also occasionally make use of him not really paying close attention to what he is doing/has done from day to day and I'll slip an extra 5lbs on without him noticing. Then, "oh look, you've lifted 5lbs more. Good for you!" Does that make me a bad person?

He'll sometimes ask me how much he is lifting and I tell him that he should tell me. His bar math is improving.

Bench will be using smaller jumps for the next increases. Still, he is doing better with his shoulder. Bar path is much better, level, and he can touch his chest consistently.
    Last edited by Sirimiti; 08-12-2017 at 09:25 AM.

Monday, August 14:

6 minutes on elliptical
    BP - 117.5lbs (3x5!)
    DL - 185lbs (1x5)
    Leg Press - 110lbs (3x10)
    10 minutes on bike

Slight back pain from work today so let weight on deadlift. Also, he feels really weak and tired on Mondays. Maybe Mondays can be slightly lighter. Wednesdays and Fridays feel better.

Wednesday, August 16:

6 minutes on elliptical
    DL - 215lbs (1x5)
    BP - 120lbs (3x5!)
    Leg Press - 110lbs (3x10)
    10 minutes on bike

Friday, August 18:

6 minutes on elliptical
    DL - 220lbs (1x5)
    BP - 122.5lbs (3x5!)
    Leg Press - 115lbs (3x10)
    10 minutes on bike

He kept bitching about increasing 2.5lbs on bench, then he actually did the sets and was happy it was "only" 2.5 more. His shoulder is doing better, still not 100% but definitely better. He felt his knee twinge again, not really pain but just something to pay attention to. No pain when lifting though.

starting strength coach development program
    Monday, August 21:

6 min Elliptical
    BP - 120lbs (3x5)
    DL - 220lbs (1x5)
    LegPr - 110lbs (3x10)
    10 min Bike

Wednesday, August 23:

6 min Elliptical
    DL - 225lbs (1x5)
    BP - 125lbs (3x5!)
    LegPr - 120lbs (3x10!)
    10 min Bike

Saturday, August 26:

6 min Elliptical
    DL - 225lbs (1x5)
    BP - 125lbs (3x5)
    LegPr - 120lbs (3x10)
    10 min Bike

So not every day sees an increase in weight, but he is steadily going up. I go based on how he feels but he still calls me a gym nazi. He has noticed picking up tires at work is easier, but he's not sure if it's because he's stronger or just using better technique. Either one is good!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast