Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kickin' Cancer in the A** with LP

Default Kickin' Cancer in the A** with LP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quick bit of information about me:
    18 y/o male
    172 cm
    106 kg @ 45% BF (according to my gym's inbody scanner)
    had experience lifting prior.

I was diagnosed with leukemia late last year, and recently my doctor gave me the go ahead to start working out again after removing my PICC line. So I thought I would start this log to make record my progress. My goal for the LP is to shed some bodyfat and also gain some strength.

Currently on the basic novice LP, with 2-3 HIIT sessions/wk on rest days. Following Dr Jordan Feigenbaum's TBAB template as a guide for my nutrition:

- 2640.33 kcal
    - 288.75 g protein
    - 231 g carbs
    - 57.5 g fat

Although admittedly I struggle with hitting the macros.

Started my first workout yesterday, the 3rd of July:

Squat
    3 x 5, 30 kg

Press
    3 x 5, 20 kg

Deadlift

3 x 5, 35 kg

4th of July

HIIT on stationary bike
    5 min warm up
    20 s on, 140 s off
    20 min cooldown

avg hr ~160 bpm

peak hr ~190

Welcome and God bless you. You are one fellow I plan to look in on often. Go get 'em.

Great protein intake. I think your doing one of the best things you can be for your fight. Good luck!

I wonder if you should be cycling your carbs to fuel your workouts. I'm sure there are discussions of this on the boards.

Week 1 Day 3: 5th of July

Squat
    3 sets x 5 reps. 35 kg. (Had to grind out the last rep of almost every set though)

Bench
    3 sets x 5 reps, 27.5 kg (25 kg felt relatively easy, so I upped the weight to 27.5 kg)

Deadlift
    1 set x 5 reps, 40 kg
    Deadlifts today were feeling good, all fast off the ground and I feel like I am making good progress on this list particularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Itchysoles View Post
    I wonder if you should be cycling your carbs to fuel your workouts. I'm sure there are discussions of this on the boards.
    Currently I am loading most of my carbs pre and post workout to help both performance and recovery. Thanks for the advice! I will look into carb cycling!

Hi jpwk,

awesome work on beating the big scary 'C'.
    I'll try to follow your updates regularly.

A little note: recovery days should be just that. At some point, your HIIT might start affecting your ability to recover from one session to the next. Be ready to drop it when this happens; you will always have time to reintroduce some conditioning work once you have finished LP.

All the best.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    A little note: recovery days should be just that. At some point, your HIIT might start affecting your ability to recover from one session to the next. Be ready to drop it when this happens; you will always have time to reintroduce some conditioning work once you have finished LP.
    But do you think my weight would still fall?

Quote Originally Posted by jpwk View Post
    But do you think my weight would still fall?
    See the following quote from Jordan Feigenbaum (link below). He recommends starting 2x a week HIIT on rest days for a "fluffy" novice.

"Many people are afraid of adding a small amount of HIIT training to their programs for fear of overtraining, which I think is a bit misguided. If you do HIIT 5x a week using a high-impact or other modality with a high eccentric loading, such as sprints, for instance, then yes you’re performance will likely suffer. On the other hand, doing a small amount of work with the prowler or C2 rower while training is easy, as it is in the beginning of the novice program..."
    To Be a Beast

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchysoles View Post
    See the following quote from Jordan Feigenbaum (link below). He recommends starting 2x a week HIIT on rest days for a "fluffy" novice.

"Many people are afraid of adding a small amount of HIIT training to their programs for fear of overtraining, which I think is a bit misguided. If you do HIIT 5x a week using a high-impact or other modality with a high eccentric loading, such as sprints, for instance, then yes you’re performance will likely suffer. On the other hand, doing a small amount of work with the prowler or C2 rower while training is easy, as it is in the beginning of the novice program..."
    To Be a Beast
    Exactly, this was why I decided to start with HIIT 2x a week in the first place!! Haha

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast