starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stronger Will... Do.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    You can get some squat shoes (Adidas) really cheap right now if you don't care what color they are (the ugly ones are left). I wish I had started with them and never bothered with chucks. The velcro buckle on my powerlift.3's is a huge help for me personally.

Thanks. Do you think they're much better? There's so much information on the whole subject i thought I'd made up my mind! Haha. Maybe I'll see if I can get some cheap ones and give em a try.

Also at what point do people start wearing a belt for the squats and deadlifts. I may use the belt today seeing as Wednesdays session felt ridiculously heavy.

Tonight was the first missed reps. Not happy but I'm going to eat like a horse all weekend and try again Monday.

Squat 115kg - 5/5/3
    Press 59k - 3x5
    Overhand Yates row - 80kg 3x5
    Curls.

Tonight I used the belt, warm ups felt good so I thought I'd try another 5kg jump. Wow. Was heavy as fuck! Last 2 reps on first 2 sets were just complete brute force and shit form. Gonna try and focus on recovery a lot more now for the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by gymbeam View Post
    Do you think they're much better?
    I thought it wouldn't matter, but I got a pair on sale and I love them. The buckle allows you to tighten them down onto your foot which a chuck can't do. That's the main difference I feel.
    The sole is pretty similar compression wise, but the slight heel raise of a squat shoe makes it easier to keep the weight off your toes.

Quote Originally Posted by gymbeam View Post
    Also at what point do people start wearing a belt for the squats and deadlifts.
    I currently wear a belt for squats only. I would think it is highly individualized and I haven't seen any coaches chime in with a guideline. I use the belt for my last warmup and then all of my worksets.

Here's an artilce on accessories and it covers belts and shoes:
    Lifting Apparel Accessories | Niki Sims
    Written by Niki Sims

Thanks for your input and thanks for the link will give it a read through.

Bad DOMS in my hips and legs today. Hopefully will be ready to go tomorrow.

Friday weight was up 8lbs since last weigh in 2 weeks before.

Tried to eat big this weekend ready for tomorrow. Excited to see if I can hit those extra few reps tomorrow. Then will progress in smaller increments from this point. If I don't have to reset that is.

carson is a wise man you do have a tendency to overtrain it seems, but you are aware of that.

fwiw on the squat i am beltless for my warm up sets (45lb/135lb/185lb) and then use the belt from 225 on up; percentage-wise i use the belt at roughly 66% max weight and above
    pretty much same story on deadlift

Thanks that's good to know. Yea since starting my log on the forum I've cut a lot of my work down.

Is it bad that I'm missing reps so early in the program? ive only been going less than a month? I think?

starting strength coach development program
    Squat 115kg 1x5 1x4
    Squat 100kg 1x5
    Bench 90kg
    Deadlift 125kg

Failed again on squat. Warm ups felt good. Was feeling my form better than ever and then first few reps at 115kg were ok then last 2 reps were squatmornings.
    Second set was ok, tried to stay tight but only just managed to get the 4th rep with terrible form.
    Might deload from next session and creep it up in smaller increments. I've noticed 240lbs being a bit of a stalling point on here (apparently) and I'm around 255ish so that's about right I guess.
    Deadlift warm up set at 100kg felt awesome was ready to blast through working set.
    Working set - The reps were pretty slow and felt like a 1rm on every rep. Took a couple seconds between each rep. Managed all 5 so happy with that.
    Switched to over/under grip for working set and felt massive strain on my wrist. So might try double over on next deadlift session.

Pretty pissed off my squat has stalled already but a deload will give me chance to work on form.

Is it too early to add in the 'advanced novice' squat day?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast