Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stronger Will... Do.

Default Stronger Will... Do.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    A bit about me.
    27yo, 5'8, 171lbs
    I've done the program a few years ago with some ok results but haven't trained properly for about 8 years. Started lifting again in November last year and tried to implement SS into some split. Within about 6 weeks I was injured due to shit deadlift form.
    Been doing a bro split with no leg work since. Spent the last 6 months fuckin about doing a bro split with focus on 1rm on bench and deadlift... Didnt make me much stronger at all consider the time. Then switched to 531 a couple months ago and was really happy at first and on my 3rd cycle I couldn't keep up with the progression and according to my reps I was getting weaker.
    I do have a tendency to overtrain as I like to train 5 days a week.

So putting the lack of progress thus far down to the fact I've not been squatting, not enough recovery and too much volume due to training partners routine.
    Have now decide to attempt to stick to SS for as long as possible with some accessories chucked in.

I have struggled with getting my bench any heavier so thought I'd try to add more volume this time around.
    Don't have micro plates so trying to creep the reps up on bench.

Medium term goals... 2 plate bench and 3 plate squat.
    Couldn't even imagine having a 4 plate deadlift but something around 3 would be great too. Hopefully my squat will bring my deadlift up.

21/6
    First session worked up to the point things got heavy and reps slowed down. Can't believe how heavy this feels. Did press for this as I had just done bench on Monday.

Squat - 80kg
    Press - 40kg
    Deadlift - 100kg

23/6
    Squat 70kg
    Bench 8x3 90
    Accessory work.

Dropped squat down 10kg to work my way back up.
    Tried 8x3 on bench to try and get the bench moving but after reading some logs I'll probably go back to 3x5 for now. May even throw in 5x5 if I feel like it for the extra volume.

26/6
    Squat 75
    Bench 86
    Deadlift 100

Squat felt really heavy.

27/6
    Shoulders
    Scissor machine 25kg each side.
    Tricep work.
    Cardio 30mins on stationary bike.

Just did somewhat of a light shoulder day. Will drop the extra days when possible or if recovery becomes an issue.

28/6
    Squat 80
    Pendlay Rows 70kg
    Pulley row - (number 9lol?) 3x 8
    Pull downs - can't remember.

Squat didn't feel great but I remember how it felt previously on SS early on in the program until I started to get into the movement.

29/6
    Cardio - 40mins on stationary bike

30/6
    Squat 85kg
    Bench 85 + clips 6rep 3x5
    Deadlift 110kg 1x5

Bench i thought I would focus on creeping the reps up so was happy to get 6 reps on this one. Don't have micro plates so maybe the clip weigh about 0.5lb or summit? Lol it doesn't really matter just thinking some sort of progression at this stage.

3/7
    Squat 90kg
    Bench 85 + clips 7reps
    Deadlift 2 plate + 7.5

These aren't important but just added em for my own progression.

Incline DB - 45lbs 1x12 55lb 1x 10
    WS tricep 30s (west side tricep dumbbell thing, don't know what they called)
    Tricep machine 62.5 x12rep - 2 sets

Really happy with the 7 reps. They were real slow but got em up there.

Welcome, but curious. You have hit yourself in the head and proven over and over that hitting oneself in the head hurts. So, why do you do it? Just do the LP and forget about the other stuff for about 6 months when you reach the end of linear progression. Then move to 531 or Texas Method or some other intermediate program. Why waste time by fooling around with the other stuff????

Haha yea. Basically I ran some form of LP until November last year where I tore my hamstring while deadlifting. So haven't been able to squat or deadlift (or sit or walk up hill etc) since then. So i rested and did the rehab protocol and got deadlifting again after some months. And worked out with someone that did a bro split so just went along with them and made ok gains but as soon as I was ready to add in squats Ive now switched back to SS.

My thinking behind my accessory stuff is just taking bits from other programs and schools of thought such as SS with accesories, Westside, Sheiko and also that in order for my bench to increase I need more volume and that a bit of lat, delt and tricep work will help the lift.

Overall point taken though. Thanks.

5/7
    Squat 95kg
    Press 45kg
    Overhand Yates row 70kg 3x5
    Curls 2x8

This was the first session I wore some better suited trainers. Previously some sports/running trainers and have now got something similar to chucks.

Wow squat felt pretty hard on the last few reps. Made sure to take time in between sets. Decided to replace pendlay row with an overhand Yates style row just to see how different they feel.

Interested to see how fridays session works out. Hopefully will get the 2 plate squat bagged then maybe go for smaller increases in squat.

7/7
    Squat 100kg 2plate PR!
    Bench 88kg
    Deadlift 115kg

Squat wise I've been doing high bar as my shoulders can't handle low bar. I think this is something I will keep playing with during my warm ups and switch to low bar either over time or at my first reset.
    Other than that, squat felt pretty good. Was a real grind but i got it.

Bench was feeling good.
    Had to wait absolutely ages for the rack again to deadlift so just tried to keep myself warm with some light bench sets.

Deadlifts also felt pretty good. They weren't easy but felt good.

Just need to figure out what to do about my low bar squat
    Last edited by gymbeam; 07-07-2017 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Typo's

When I say high bar I mean the bar is just above the scapula (or actually ON the scapula). I can't quite get the bar underneath yet.

10/7
    Squat 105kg 3x5
    Press 48kg 3x5
    Yates row 75kg 3x5
    Reverse grip pull downs

Squat felt heavy but think I can still squeeze in a few more 5kg jumps. Still not quite low bar. Have put my arms out wider to get the bar lower but doesn't feel stable. The bar is kinda sat on the scapula bone.
    I do have some shoulder dysfunction which I was told about 6 months ago but I didn't realise it was this bad.
    Shoulders were absolutely killing from the impingement feeling on squat. Will keep doing the stretches and mobility stuff andsee how it goes.

The hardest thing I find is staying out the gym on my off days. Going from a 5 (sometimes 6) day split to only doing 3 is taking some getting used to.

Tonight -

40 mins LISS cardio
    Shoulder dislocates and some other mobility stuff

12/7

Squat 110kg 5/5/5
    Deadlift 120kg

Wow squat felt like it was gonna make my head pop off. I wanted to quit on the first set. Each rep felt like a 1 rep max. Insane how hard it was to grind through em. Slight breakdown of form which was expected I guess. Let's hope Fridays session feels better.
    Been doing mobility stuff everyday now and I can feel an improvement already but still not quite ready for low bar.
    Didn't get chance to bench as I had to rush today. Will throw that in tomorrow and see if it affects Fridays sessions in terms of recovery.

starting strength coach development program
    13/7
    Bench 90kg 3x5
    Dips BW+20kg 3x6

Bench was a real grind but mostly felt good. Will keep the bench at same weight for next week and try creeping up the reps. Last set of bench felt really hard and awkward, almost like my form was different but wasn't sure what it was. So something to bare in mind for next session.

Haven't done weighted dips for a long time so first time since starting back training. Worked up to 20kg.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast