self discipline
    chronicling my improvements and plateaus
    community
    possible guidance
    to scream into the void
    pretty much all the common reasons

Default About me

About me:
    30 year old male with some weightlifting experience. Was always part of motivated group. Even did a power lifting competition. Lost group, lost motivation. Trying to create new habits and restore self motivation for improvement.

Pros:
    In the Air Force with access to a pretty remarkable fitness center.
    Familiar with the movements and gym etiquette.

Cons:
    Probably some bad form habits
    Haven't read a single book on weightlifting (please don't ban me)
    Last edited by Crutch31; 07-11-2017 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Added title

Default Day 1 results

30 year old male; 6'2''; 270lbs

Squats 185 3X5
    Press 95 3X5
    DL 185 3X5 (I know, I know. I didn't fully read the instructions.)

Overall glad to start but disappointed in my loss of strength. I definitely could have done more on the DL but was running on empty after I realized my mistake.

Default My goals

Obviously get stronger! But I am also interested in maintaining and in fact improving my mobility and flexibility. Maybe play a sport or two.

Oh yeah lose weight! In fact since I'm in the AF this is rather a pressing concern as a bad waist tape measurement can suddenly steal my ability to do my job. So I suppose losing my gut is actually my goal.

Default Sleep and Diet

Sleep:
    Sleep is important and I am bad at it! Working on it.

Diet:
    I'm also bad at this. It comes to preparation and my lack of it. MUST IMPROVE!! Trying out a ketogenic diet until my gut shrinks then will slowly add back in those performance enhancing carbs.

Protein is even more important than Carbs. Anyway, welcome. Read the damned books. Starting Strength third ed. is essential. Show some videos.

Default Current Concerns

While I fully understand and advocate that slow and steady improvement is the best way to improve. I'm really wanting to be rid of the anxiety that comes with the AF fitness test. As such I will be looking for ways to supplement SS's program to maximize my readiness for this. Advice is always appreciated.

Default Day 2

Squat: 195lbs 3x5
    Bench: 135lbs 3x5
    DeadL: 195lbs 3x5

Got a late start to the workout. Squats felt good though I need to find better shoes than my running sneakers. Probably would have failed if I went higher on bench. DL was rushed as gym was closing so I made 50lb jumps as such it felt heavier than my squats did when I got to 195. Still working on diet and sleep habits. Used the the timer in the app... three minutes seems to last forever. Is there anything I should be doing in those times? Also looking for some active recovery technique suggestions for my off days.

Thanks for the welcome. I'll be getting the book soon. Would you happen to know if the kindle format is any good i.e. useful diagrams and pictures. I'll try to take video next time.

Default Week 1 Complete

starting strength coach development program
    Squat:205lb
    Press:100lb
    DL:215lb