starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TheFatDinosaurīs Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by misspelledDino View Post
    You might consider 20 pound jumps on your squats for a few sessions. Given your size and prior lifting experience, I think you may have started a bit too light.

Do you think so? Get in count that I come from an injury.
    Last edited by TheFatDinosaur; 07-24-2017 at 10:37 PM.

Hey there, here's W2d1
    Squats 5x3 45kg felt very light
    Bench 5x3 55kg felt light
    Dl 5x1 90kg

I've been hip shifting, should I use a stagger stance to squat (Like for example Dimitri Klokov does)?
    Thanks ☺

W2d2
    Squat 5x3 50kg
    OHP 5x3 25kg
    Dl 5x1 95kg

W2d3
    Squat 5x3 55kg
    Bench 5x3 60kg
    Dl 5x1 100kg

W3d1
    Squats 60kg/132.5lb 5x3
    OHP 30KG/65lb 5x3
    Dl 105kg/230lb 5x1

Will switch to high bar squats because I dont feel the quads at all.

Perhaps you aren't feeling it in your quads because the weight is too light?

Also, the low bar back squat is primarily a posterior chain (glutes, adductors, ham strings) movement. It does train quads too, but the quads aren't the prime movers. So I wouldn't expect you to 'feel the quads' unless the weight was super heavy for you (it's not) at which point you'd feel the quads, glutes, adductors, hamstrings and everything else.

The main reason we train the low bar back squat (as opposed to high bar or some other variant) is because it trains the most muscle mass across the largest range of motion. Thus the movement is superior to all other squat variants in getting big and strong as quickly as possible. It is, after all, your life and your training and you can squat however you wish. But I'd advise you reconsider moving to high bar squats.

One other thing while I'm doling out unsolicited advice...you injuring your back doing squats makes me suspect you have unresolved form issues. You might consider filming a squat set and posting on the SSC Q&A sub forum for a form check.

Good luck with your training.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFatDinosaur View Post
    W3d1
    Squats 60kg/132.5lb 5x3
    OHP 30KG/65lb 5x3
    Dl 105kg/230lb 5x1

Will switch to high bar squats because I dont feel the quads at all.

Quote Originally Posted by misspelledDino View Post
    Perhaps you aren't feeling it in your quads because the weight is too light?

Also, the low bar back squat is primarily a posterior chain (glutes, adductors, ham strings) movement. It does train quads too, but the quads aren't the prime movers. So I wouldn't expect you to 'feel the quads' unless the weight was super heavy for you (it's not) at which point you'd feel the quads, glutes, adductors, hamstrings and everything else.

The main reason we train the low bar back squat (as opposed to high bar or some other variant) is because it trains the most muscle mass across the largest range of motion. Thus the movement is superior to all other squat variants in getting big and strong as quickly as possible. It is, after all, your life and your training and you can squat however you wish. But I'd advise you reconsider moving to high bar squats.

One other thing while I'm doling out unsolicited advice...you injuring your back doing squats makes me suspect you have unresolved form issues. You might consider filming a squat set and posting on the SSC Q&A sub forum for a form check.

Good luck with your training.
    Man I really appreciate your advice, yes I know that It makes you work more muscle mass and weight, and that it is mainly a posterior chain movement and that is a problem for me because I come from a lower back injury, I'd like to get a bit stronger at high bar squats and then switch back to low bar.
    By the way, here is the yesterday's workout (switched to phase 2):
    Squats 65kg/142,5lb 5x3
    Bench 65kg/142,5lb 5x3
    Power clean 30kg/65lb 3x5

starting strength coach development program
    Last thursday*:
    Squats 5x3x67.5kg/148.5lbs
    Dl 5x1x107.5kg/236.5lbs
    Military Press (I had some pain on my shoulders so I did't do it).

*Did the W2D3 on thursday instead of friday because since Friday I'm traveling.
    I'm back next week.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12