starting strength gym

Thread: Ronin's Log

Default Ronin's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Neophyte here:

Male, 46 years old, 6'2" 285lbs.
    Currently 52" at the nipples, 49" at the umbilicus, and 45" at the hips.

Just read Jordan's To Be A Beast and started Macros at 330/300/100 for about 3400 cal.

1 month in to the program, modified unfortunately - (I am stuck in a contract until Feb 2018 at a gym that WILL NOT allow me to clean. I have found a gym that I can clean at, but cannot afford both concurrently). I am following the old duffer programming and doing lat pulls for 3x8-10 until I can switch gyms.

I am using the SS app and am working through the texts while I train. Now 1 month in: I train Wed-Fri-Sun nights so as to avoid most of the nipple twisters at the gym I am in.

Tonight:
    Squat 275x5x3
    Press 135x5x3
    Lat Pulls 165x10x3

Last Sunday:
    Squat 270x5x3
    Bench 195x5x3
    Deadlift 305x5 double-overhand

Deadlifts are starting to get heavy but I will shoot for 315 Friday night. Still doing 5 lb jumps on all the other lifts. Will try a couple more weeks of 5 lb jumps then switch to 2 lbs on the presses, since the bar is slowing down. Just got some fractional plates and threw them in the bag.

7/21/17 21:00

Squat 280x5x3
    Bench 200x5x3
    Deadlift 315x5 - tough set had some back rounding

Welcome. Looks like a solid start. Regarding rounding back on dead lift: Have you posted a video on technique? Can you see a certified SS coach? There might be a couple of cues that would help with the rounding but its hard to tell without seeing it.

I don't remember Sully's exact cue but it had something to do with making your back feel as if there is a crease in it. The point is to make it as hard as a 2 x 4. Keep your neck straight. Do not look up. But better comments can be made once we've seen your deadlift. Finally, if you fear rounding at this weight you may want to do 315 again just to get everything correct.

Carson,

Thanks for the welcome. Reached out to Jayson Ball. Just recently came to my AO. Hoping to get together with him in the next week or so if his schedule allows. Was on call at work and missed Sunday. I actually feel really good today. Will get back after it Wednesday.