starting strength gym

Thread: CJ's Training Log

Default CJ's Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

About 3 years ago I topped out in weight at about 385 lbs. After getting tired of feeling awful, I started exercising and improving my diet (a little) and got down to about 300 lbs. However, in the past 6 months I have really slipped up in terms of diet and exercise and I am back in the 340's again. I am beginning this log to keep myself on track in terms of my diet and exercise. My long term goal is to get down to 235 and once I am there reevaluate my goals based on body composition and how I am feeling. For this next month (August 2017), I am assigning myself 2 goals:

1. Train 3 times a week following the Starting Strength template (note that all of my starting weights have been reset 20% from the last time that I was constantly training).
    Bench Press: 105
    Dead Lift: 175
    Overhead Press: 85
    Power Clean: 95
    Squat: 155

2. Log calories daily in my Lose It app and stay under my assigned target for each day.

July 31, 2017
    Weight: 353.8

Squat: 155 - 3x5 --> 160
    Bench Press: 105 - 3x5 --> 110
    Dead Lift: 175 - 1x5 --> 185

Welcome to the forum, CJ! As I'm sure you've seen, many big people around here have made great progress on the program. Check out Jordan Feigenbaum's "To be a beast" and the nutrition subforum for great advice.

Also, you may want to consider adding in some HIIT to aid in recomp and weight loss.

How old & tall are you?

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    Also, you may want to consider adding in some HIIT to aid in recomp and weight loss.

How old & tall are you?
    On my off days, I plan on incorporating some kettlebell swings. I also want to do additional walking, but the bulk of my free time these days is spent with my colicky, newborn daughter.

I am 5'10" and 36 years old.

I commend you for your goals. Have you seen a Doctor to get you on a proper diet. Keep on that diet as you work the SS program. Please, schedule a meeting with your nearest certified SS coach. He can get you onto a proper program.

August 2, 2017

Weight: 351.2

Squat: 160 - 3x5 --> 165

Overhead Press: 85 - 3x5 --> 90

Power Clean: 95 - 5x3 --> 100

Quote Originally Posted by cjlaird View Post
    On my off days, I plan on incorporating some kettlebell swings. I also want to do additional walking, but the bulk of my free time these days is spent with my colicky, newborn daughter.

I am 5'10" and 36 years old.
    Well, congratulations! As a father of two (now 10 and 13 years old) I can sympathize. It does get easier, in some ways. You could always push a stroller - or maybe invent the PROLLER - combining a prowler workout with keeping the infant happy! I should get a patent on that quickly. Hey, maybe Rogue already makes a sled with an attachment for a car seat.

August 4, 2017

Squat: 165 - 3x5 --> 170

Bench Press: 110 - 3x5 --> 115

Dead Lift: 185 - 1x5 --> 195

starting strength coach development program
    I think you have set good goals

You should post form checks in SSC Q&A or the technique form to get form checks on your squats and deadlifts. A lot of big guys have trouble getting into the bottom position of these lifts because of big thighs/ bellies. Sometimes this is how things go, but coaches will be able to help you get into a decent position at the bottom.

Also, I suggest not implementing power cleans yet. The extra work from deadlifts will be more beneficial at the moment.