starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deadlifting With A Belt

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    This is why you never see fat people deadlifting any substantial amount of weight.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxlY9LjACTg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5groVHlMkRE

I don't like pulling with my leather belt, either. Get a velcro belt. It won't get in the way and you can tighten it as needed. Those Spud belts look good, too.

CThomas, don't get the Valeo. I haven't been able to find Aimee's exact belt anywhere and the Competition Classic Lifting Belt (the most similar to Aimee's) is poorly designed. I made the mistake of buying it myself. The velcro gives way and the latch slips when you push your abs out against it. I have a cheap velcro belt that I got from the Sports Authority. I believe this is the one I got. It doesn't slip, but I suspect it won't last nearly as long as my EFS Retro belt will. If anyone gets the Spud, I will be interested to hear how you like it.

Yes, this solves the belt problem, but since so much of your bodyweight would be concentrated in the front of your center of gravity you would always have the tendency to shift forwards onto your toes while deadlifting, causing you to lose control of the bar, fall, shatter your pelvis and contract HIV. This is why you never see fat people deadlifting any substantial amount of weight.
    Fanboi, if you didn't understand that this was sarcasm then I'm curious as to how you manage to dress yourself in the morning.

I'm using the Harbinger as my only belt right now, got too fat for my Inzer L. It's perfectly adequate for any lift, but I recently realized that the tearing sound I thought was coming from my hip, strangely without pain, was the velcro disconnecting at the bottom of the squat. I'm only pushing 235 right now, so I can speculate how well it will hold up at 300 or so.

It's great for DLs, though. I leave it in the same place on my back, but work it down under my gut in the front. Rip mentions he likes his DL belt lower, don't know if this is what he meant, but it works nicely to stabilize the trunk and yet stay out of the way of my hips.

I had issues with belts in deadlift... when I weighed 75kg. And was using a cheap WLing (wide back, narrow front) belt, that I was wearing backwards.

Two things changed that may or may not have resulted in pain free deadlifting, I gained 10kg, and got a 4", 10mm PLing belt. I'm sure it was a combination of both that helped.

It took some fiddling to find the best place, I also would tuck in some gut fat into the bottom of the belt, so it wouldn't pinch in the start position.

After a while, I liked having it lower down, almost covering the hips. This position hurts quite a lot, but not a pinching sort of pain. It would just really dig into my hips and hurt. But I was able to generate more pressure, but also it was physically restricting ROM to get into position, so this may have helped a little with off-the-floor power. Maybe.

Dudes thinking of getting a velcro belt...make sure it is official. Both the Valeo and Wieder velcro belts at my gym won't hold up to a valsalva.

Fanboi, if you didn't understand that this was sarcasm then I'm curious as to how you manage to dress yourself in the morning.
    hm i didn't read it

I have a 7mm belt so my experience might be different.

for me the third hole is too loose, fourth too tight. So i just wear a hoody and use the third hole...the hoody makes it slightly tighter and prevents pinching. For some reason, it also feels nice having warm shoulders and back dduring a maximal effort.

Quote Originally Posted by khal View Post
    I have a 7mm belt so my experience might be different.

for me the third hole is too loose, fourth too tight. So i just wear a hoody and use the third hole...the hoody makes it slightly tighter and prevents pinching. For some reason, it also feels nice having warm shoulders and back dduring a maximal effort.
    If you wear the hood, Dave Tate style, it adds 10lbs to your lift.
    Last edited by Sami; 05-17-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Default 315 DL w/belt

starting strength coach development program
    I attempted my first workset DL with a belt last Tuesday. I will be attempting this again on Wednesday. I have the Inzer training belt, which is both wide and thick. Initially, I had the belt at the same tightness that I used for an three sets of back squats, at 295. It worked well...and has always done so for me, since I purchased it.

The DL, on the other hand, didn't work out so well. When I got down into the starting stance, the belt felt loose...but I didn't want to tighten it by one notch, for fear of it being too tight at the height of the DL. The other factor that killed me was ingesting too much G2, and this protein drink (2 small bottles of it) prior to the workout. I probably could have done more than 2 reps, but I would have puked all over.

I think I'll be okay when I try it again...and I'll let everyone know.

The use of a hoodie or sweatshirt is a great idea. I may try that next time as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast