starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check on inflexible 36 yr old

Default Squat check on inflexible 36 yr old

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    You may remember me. I'm the OP who brought you the debate about high-bar vs. low-bar programming. In any case, I've worked on my shoulder flexibility and am not ready to give up on low-bar squats.

I'm starting from 'scratch' essentially, with very little weight to see where the errors are. That, and I am very weak in general, and at squats in particular. But hey, I'm honest and in the right place, right?
    My biggest sticking point was shoving knees OUT. Read Rip's "Active Hip 2.0" article and felt that knees caving in, as opposed to my limited hamstring extensibility, is what was killing depth.
    So, what else can I work on? How 'awful' is this squat, and what specifically can I do better?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaWv_-ktfqs

And yes, I do have the book. And yes, I've read the Squat chapter, like, 3 times. I just have a difficulty perceiving the subtleties of the squat, compared to some of the more trained observers here.

You need to go a bit deeper and your weight is shifting to your toes toward the bottom, accompanied by some sliding forward with the knees. Work on keeping the weight on your heels and locking those knees in place during the lower half of the squat.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    You need to go a bit deeper and your weight is shifting to your toes toward the bottom, accompanied by some sliding forward with the knees. Work on keeping the weight on your heels and locking those knees in place during the lower half of the squat.
    Weight coming off heels is your main problem.

To further Toms comments;

If you focus on pushing knees out hard, it usually eliminates forward travel. You should be following the "knees out" cue regardless.

Also, you need to try harder to drive your hips up. So much so that you get some lumbar arch and it looks like your hips are being lifted with a rope.

Lastly, you should consider some different shoes.

Yeah, I'm in the process of getting new shoes (heard that one before?).
    I assume the shoes will help with weight distribution over the heels; any other advice for preventing the shifting of weigh on toes? Cues you think might be helpful?
    I realize that the TUBOW maybe needed for the knees sliding forward. Honestly, I thought that the knees would be the least of my issues when I looked at the video beforehand; but you are right, they subtly move forward at the bottom.

I wonder if this is the reason I get pre-patellar tendinitis the next day afterwards? Or is the depth a greater contribution to the pain I feel in my knees on off days?

Thanks guys; I feel like I've got stuff to work on!

Quote Originally Posted by Bahadur View Post
    I thought that the knees would be the least of my issues when I looked at the video beforehand; but you are right, they subtly move forward at the bottom.

I wonder if this is the reason I get pre-patellar tendinitis the next day afterwards?
    If you remember the explanation in SS about why squats below parallel are good for the knees, you will see that anything that minimizes the hamstrings' contribution to the movement will cause problems for your knees. This is what happens when your knees come forward at the bottom of the squat - you negate some of the usefulness of the hamstrings.

I think the shoes are at the root of the problem. I just looked at another guy squatting in sneakers who had a similar issue. I think the way the sneaker is made with all that soft junk under the heel gives the wearers the perception that under their heels is a soft mattress. Under the balls of their feet there's a firmer surface and that's where they want to balance, especially with a heavy weight on the back.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn View Post
    If you remember the explanation in SS about why squats below parallel are good for the knees, you will see that anything that minimizes the hamstrings' contribution to the movement will cause problems for your knees. This is what happens when your knees come forward at the bottom of the squat - you negate some of the usefulness of the hamstrings.

I think the shoes are at the root of the problem. I just looked at another guy squatting in sneakers who had a similar issue. I think the way the sneaker is made with all that soft junk under the heel gives the wearers the perception that under their heels is a soft mattress. Under the balls of their feet there's a firmer surface and that's where they want to balance, especially with a heavy weight on the back.
    I think this makes alot of sense. Honestly, until I looked at the video and got the comments, I had absolutely no idea that I was going forward on my toes.

Just ordered my Rogues. Will try them out and see if they make the difference and repost a video if necessary.
    Thanks again for the comments!