starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deadlifting With A Belt

Default Deadlifting With A Belt

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This has been discussed before, but I can't find the threads. I figure if we make this thread better than those other ones then ΔG will be negative.

I still can't figure out how to deadlift with a belt. When I wore the belt at the third hole, the belt was too loose when I would get into the bottom position of the deadlift. When I wore the belt at the fourth hole (i.e. tighter) the belt would either get shoved into my ribs or pinch my abdominal fat at the bottom position, depending on how high up the belt was on my torso. Both of these cases are painful. What am I doing wrong?

How tall are you and what size belt (4", 3", 10mm, 13mm, etc.)?

I am 5'9, belt is 4" wide, 10 mm thick. I don't believe I have a particularly short torso. Also, the belt is fine when I do my squats.

It could still be a bit too wide for you at your height. I actually just DL'd belted for the first time with the same size belt and it seemed fine for me. I had no special trick, wore it the same exact way as my squat and press.

How old is it? Maybe if it breaks in some more and softens up it will get better?

Maybe you could try like KK wears it. Just at thought.

What hole do you use for the squat? For me, i just use the same hole for both squats and deadlift, although as Paul pointed out it could be a bit wide. I think someone in one of the past deadlift belt threads pointed out that you may need a less wide belt for the deads.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sousa View Post
    How old is it? Maybe if it breaks in some more and softens up it will get better?
    Maybe, but I've had it for a couple of weeks and I'm pretty sure I spent enough time crunching the life out of it to get it to soften up. However, I didn't even know I could tighten it to the fourth hole until I tried today, so maybe it is still getting loosened up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Maybe you could try like KK wears it. Just at thought.
    How does KK wear it?

Quote Originally Posted by confuzzl3don3 View Post
    What hole do you use for the squat? For me, i just use the same hole for both squats and deadlift, although as Paul pointed out it could be a bit wide. I think someone in one of the past deadlift belt threads pointed out that you may need a less wide belt for the deads.
    I use the third hole for the squat. I might try using the fourth hole; as I said earlier in this post, I have never been able to buckle it to the fourth hole until today. I'm not buying a 3' leather belt, at least not for a while, since my weightlifting budget will soon be going towards the purchase of PPST and 5/3/1...but maybe I'll get one of the soft belts and try it out.

I've got the same problem and just about to give up. I'm thinking about either the Spud belt (this is the heavy duty 3-ply version):

http://flexcart.com/members/elitefts...d=299&pid=2840

or one of these (saw Aimee Anaya wearing one and I like the idea of velcro fastening):

http://www.valeofit.com/?Id=2&CatId=4&Parent=4

I suspect growing a substantial gut would get rid of the problem by creating clearance between the belt and the pelvis.

The spud belt looks good. Maybe I'll start saving for it... although I can't imagine the stares I'd get for coming into the gym with two different belts (I already get enough weird looks for coming in with one). I'll have to make sure to be deadlifting over 4 plates for reps by the time this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by CThomas View Post
    I suspect growing a substantial gut would get rid of the problem by creating clearance between the belt and the pelvis.
    Yes, this solves the belt problem, but since so much of your bodyweight would be concentrated in the front of your center of gravity you would always have the tendency to shift forwards onto your toes while deadlifting, causing you to lose control of the bar, fall, shatter your pelvis and contract HIV. This is why you never see fat people deadlifting any substantial amount of weight.

starting strength coach development program
    Also, the Harbinger nylon belt. Justin mentions this on 70sbig:

http://www.harbingerfitness.com/cgi-...x.cgi?243&&sku

The Valeo 4" is the cheapest, at $20. But it is out of production and is running out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast