starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: too deep on squats and knees sliding forward.. how to fix?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Those look ok. Just cut them a little bit higher.

Quote Originally Posted by tamvvtli View Post
    Kind of hard to tell from the vid angle,but it seem your not shoving your knees out enough. I dont see your knees sliding forword at all. Everything else seem ok.
    Could someone please explain how his knees are not sliding forward? To me it seems his knees are moving forward throughout his descent. Am I missing the meaning of "sliding forward"?

When you dont shove your knees out hard enougth, it relax your hamstring= knees sliding forword.

When you dont shove your knees out hard enougth, it relax your hamstring= knees sliding forword.
    When looking at a video, how can you tell if there's relaxed hamstrings = knees sliding forward? Is the appearance different from knees moving forward throughout the descent?

Quote Originally Posted by foosion View Post
    When looking at a video, how can you tell if there's relaxed hamstrings = knees sliding forward? Is the appearance different from knees moving forward throughout the descent?
    Seem like you answered it right about you knees forword throughout the decent. I rewatch your video again before making further comment. It look like you are setting your knees forward through the whole decent. Before mid decent shove them out hard.

Seem like you answered it right about you knees forword throughout the decent. I rewatch your video again before making further comment. It look like you are setting your knees forward through the whole decent. Before mid decent shove them out hard.
    Do you mean the video posted in this thread? I'm not the person who posted a video in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by foosion View Post
    Could someone please explain how his knees are not sliding forward? To me it seems his knees are moving forward throughout his descent. Am I missing the meaning of "sliding forward"?
    There is nothing to explain because you are correct and tamvvtli's assertion that his knees are doing what they are supposed to be doing is not correct. This is the problem with the Internet and these technique boards of late. Lots of people providing "bad advices" to quote Gov. Schwarzenegger. While not nearly as bad as some videos, the OP's knees generally don't get set early enough and continue to drift slightly forward all the way down. Occasionally, they move forward at the bottom, too.

Tom,

What is your advice to correct this? I keep trying to get them to set and nothing seems to be working. I am starting to get frustrated. Please help!

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by pyrosis View Post
    Tom,

What is your advice to correct this? I keep trying to get them to set and nothing seems to be working. I am starting to get frustrated. Please help!

Thank you
    Firstly, your knees sliding forward problem is not terrible and you will be able to correct it quickly. You need to sit back and trust yourself at the bottom of the squat. The low bar back squat is a hip driven movement and trying to keep your chest up and your torso vertical will not work. You need to lean over a little more, sit back, and focus on driving the hips up. Don't be afraid to let your knees come forward early in the squat. They need to get over your toes before you go half way down and then they need to stay there until you are halfway up on the ascent. Look up Rip's article on active hip for some more specific advice and cues. I'd also like to see you in a pair of lifting shoes instead of Chucks.

starting strength coach development program
    One other thing to remember is that when the weight is challenging, there will always be some small form faults. Video is easy to over-analyze.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast