starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat - Deadlift - Overhead Press Form Check

Default Squat - Deadlift - Overhead Press Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Overhead Press: Need to put my elbows under the bar... been trying it for 2 months now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz6W2D-Zh78

Squat: On the last repetitions I'm leaning a bit forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMEM9...eature=channel

Deadlift: Grip strength is weak, never did mixed grip, should start with it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4j1g...eature=channel

I've been having a lack of flexibility in my arms... I can't perform a clean grip, which makes me unable of doing power cleans and good front squats...

Extra: Clean High Pull attempt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvgmIUUBBtc&NR=1

Should his knee angle break a little before the hip angle on the squats?

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    What do you mean?
    Sorry for my lack of English!

Hi,

Press:
    as you already know, your starting position is inefficient. Your elbows are behind the bar, and this makes the initial part of the movement more difficult. I had problems too with this lift, figuring out where to place hands and elbows.
    I can only suggest to insist, and try different hand placements. The position of the hand on the bar, and the way you grip the bar, makes a difference to the position of the elbows. Make some experiments, I'm sure you will find a way to improve on your current setup.
    Also, there is a general lack of tightness in your body: hold your buttocks tight, straight legs, and make your torso solid.

Deadlift:
    you are using a lot of energy to lower the bar to the floor in a controlled way. Unless the gym owner wants otherwise, you can drop the bar a bit faster; just make sure it lands in the right place, and that your back stays always in the correct position.

Keep up the good work.

IPB

An important but basic lesson:

All pulling movements should be driven through the heel. You are basically nudging the bar up from your tippy toes and little else.

If you want to practice a partial movement with no racking. Pull it either from the floor or at least the hang below the knee.

Drive through the HEELS and stay IN FRONT of the bar with your body down till the last moment where you get the bar to the "jumping" position on your thigh.

Forget the tippy toes deal. If you try to initiate a jump & shrug after pulling through the heels, you will auto matically tip toe as you momentarily leave the ground. Dont think about it.

Just drive through those heels.

Quote Originally Posted by BiG M View Post
    Overhead Press: Need to put my elbows under the bar... been trying it for 2 months now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz6W2D-Zh78
    Apparently you've been trying for longer than that, based on your video from September 2009. I find it downright bizarre that you've been unable to correct the blatant errors in your starting position in almost a year. Re-read the press chapter in Starting Strength and finish rotating your elbows under the bar before you unrack it. Do not press again, do not pass go, do not collect $200 until you fix this.

Also don't take the negative so slowly, you're killing the stretch reflex even more.

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Hi,

Press:
    as you already know, your starting position is inefficient. Your elbows are behind the bar, and this makes the initial part of the movement more difficult. I had problems too with this lift, figuring out where to place hands and elbows.
    I can only suggest to insist, and try different hand placements. The position of the hand on the bar, and the way you grip the bar, makes a difference to the position of the elbows. Make some experiments, I'm sure you will find a way to improve on your current setup.
    Also, there is a general lack of tightness in your body: hold your buttocks tight, straight legs, and make your torso solid.

Deadlift:
    you are using a lot of energy to lower the bar to the floor in a controlled way. Unless the gym owner wants otherwise, you can drop the bar a bit faster; just make sure it lands in the right place, and that your back stays always in the correct position.

Keep up the good work.

IPB
    Thanks, will try both and see what comes out of it. Going to deadlift tomorrow!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    An important but basic lesson:

All pulling movements should be driven through the heel. You are basically nudging the bar up from your tippy toes and little else.

If you want to practice a partial movement with no racking. Pull it either from the floor or at least the hang below the knee.

Drive through the HEELS and stay IN FRONT of the bar with your body down till the last moment where you get the bar to the "jumping" position on your thigh.

Forget the tippy toes deal. If you try to initiate a jump & shrug after pulling through the heels, you will auto matically tip toe as you momentarily leave the ground. Dont think about it.

Just drive through those heels.
    Good! This is what I needed for the high pulls, power clean, etc. Going to try high pulls tomorrow as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
    Apparently you've been trying for longer than that, based on your video from September 2009. I find it downright bizarre that you've been unable to correct the blatant errors in your starting position in almost a year. Re-read the press chapter in Starting Strength and finish rotating your elbows under the bar before you unrack it. Do not press again, do not pass go, do not collect $200 until you fix this.

Also don't take the negative so slowly, you're killing the stretch reflex even more.
    Indeed, you spotted that right!

I've been on a long journey at the press... wil re-read the press part, I know that I'll press more once I got the right technique!

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    Nope. They should break around the same time, with a very slight bias for breaking with the hip first.

I'm with LudwigVan here, how does it take a year to move your elbows slightly in front of the bar? If you cannot get your elbows in front of the bar, start the press an inch off of your shoulders instead.

Quote Originally Posted by BiG M View Post
    Re: Power Cleans

The rack is fucking you up.

Get out of the rack and put the bar on the floor. Power clean that fucker into position and then rip off your set of 5.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Nope. They should break around the same time, with a very slight bias for breaking with the hip first.

I'm with LudwigVan here, how does it take a year to move your elbows slightly in front of the bar? If you cannot get your elbows in front of the bar, start the press an inch off of your shoulders instead.
    Will try that the next time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    Re: Power Cleans

The rack is fucking you up.

Get out of the rack and put the bar on the floor. Power clean that fucker into position and then rip off your set of 5.
    Hmm, indeed, but I can't power clean yet, don't got the flexibility in my arms...

Here's another video of an high pulls attempt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJSiE...eature=channel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast