starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: too deep on squats and knees sliding forward.. how to fix?

Default too deep on squats and knees sliding forward.. how to fix?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have video at home that I will post later. However I see my problem and it is this: I am going too deep by a few inches. How do I queue myself so as to stop the squat at the proper height? I think I am paranoid about not getting deep enough, because I don't want the rep to 'not count' in my mind. How do I get myself to stop where I should, not too high and not too low?

Also.. I am working with the TUBOW on my lighter warmup sets, but once the weight gets heavy I remove it to concentrate on getting the weight up. My video reveals to me that once the block of wood is removed, my knees slide forward at the bottom. But MAYBE only to about 1" in front of the knees. Should I keep the TUBOW on my work sets? Or how else to go about fixing this?

Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrosis View Post
    I have video at home that I will post later. However I see my problem and it is this: I am going too deep by a few inches. How do I queue myself so as to stop the squat at the proper height? I think I am paranoid about not getting deep enough, because I don't want the rep to 'not count' in my mind. How do I get myself to stop where I should, not too high and not too low?
    I'd like to hear some ideas for this as well. The only thing that has sort of worked for me has been to video my squats alot, and quite simply try to bounce out of the hole abit earlier, than I feel comfortable doing.

I guess that's what you get for listening to "you have to go ATG!!" guys in the beginning of your lifting career...

When you get to parallel, try to stick your ass back rather then down.

I found myself doing this before I really consciously thought about keeping my hamstrings tight. I found myself going down too quick with heavier weights, realising it was happening and then sort of driving up at the last second to stop the weight from just falling straight down. Is that something you do as well?

Quote Originally Posted by pyrosis View Post
    How do I get myself to stop where I should, not too high and not too low?
    You're going too low because you're not staying tight at the bottom. Keeping the required tightness means you can't get too low and slide forward. I was having this issue when the weights got heavy and I wasn't using a belt. Using a belt for my heavy sets really helped me stay tight at the bottom.

I believe that some people (depending on anthropometry, flexibility etc.) can stay tight, and have a lower "bounce-point" than others.

However, testing today, I found that a slightly wider stance helped that "bounce-point" move up abit, so I just broke parallel, before bouncing back up. Read that advice somewhere here, just before I went to the gym.

Finally, I've also found that with the belt, I'm better at bouncing out of the hole.

Shoving your knees out hard won't allow you to go too deep. You'll feel a stretch at the bottom, and that's when you start your ascent.

Also, try getting your knees forward 1" past your toes early on (first 3rd of the descent). It's not an issue if your knees are going past your toes - its on an issue if your hamstrings loosen at the bottom. So, get your knees forward and out, and shove them out at the bottom. That should fix it.

OK here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2cqPe9SjFE

So far we have:

Get your knees forward and out, and shove them out at the bottom
    Consciously keep hamstrings tight
    Ass back
    Bounce out of hole earlier than I think
    More video
    More TUBOW
    Use belt

Thanks guys! I appreciate your time. This seems like quite a useful list. I will try focusing on these items (perhaps one at a time) on all my sets Monday.

Kind of hard to tell from the vid angle,but it seem your not shoving your knees out enough. I dont see your knees sliding forword at all. Everything else seem ok.

starting strength coach development program
    Oh ok.. they seem to go forward to me. Also I notice that the bar path is not vertical. It goes forward at the bottom and stays forward on the way up. I wil concentrate on shoving the knees out. Thank you for looking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast