starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and press form check please.

Default Squat and press form check please.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    1st two sets are warmups with my "best form". Second two sets are failed attempts at work sets. Final set is Press set #3, just missed the last rep.

I think you need to lift your elbows and move the bar a little lower on your back. It looks like your knees travel a little far forward, and that might be related to the last sentence. As an aside, I wouldn't recommend a set of 5 at 155 if your working sets are 180. Maybe something like: 45x5x2, 115x5, 135x3, 155x2, 165x1; or something...

Your press should start with the elbows in front of the bar and the shoulders raised. You want the bar resting on your shoulders when you come out the rack and not just on your wrists.

I hope that helps.

Yeah you need to fix your press setup. Extend your upper back more -- stand at attention with a tall chest. Move your elbows forward so your forearms are under the bar instead of behind it. The bar may or may not touch your shoulders in this position depending on your limb lengths, but it shouldn't be resting that low on your chest. Keep a tall chest and a tight upper back throughout the set.