starting strength gym

Thread: Knee pain / Squat form check

Default Knee pain / Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been having pains in both my knees and I think its getting worse. I'm almost completely sure it's caused by squats. I know these squats aren't fantastic but could you comment on my form, specially focusing on what could be causing this pain?

This is a warm up:

And here are the work sets:

I am not knowledgeable or anything , but my thoughts are that your main problem is not sitting back enough. It seems to me as well that you are dive bombing , the descent should not be excessively slow but it has to be controlled.
    At home , put a box a few feet behind you and try to reach back with your butt. Do this many times to ingrain the sitting back cue , this will also allow you to use your hips more.
    And always shove them out , hard.
    Can you describe the pain ? it might be similar to mine.
    Does it hurt more the day where you don't train , do you feel it more at the bottom of the squat ?

Thanks for the replies. I posted some form checks on my journal, here:

http://startingstrength.com/resource...t=21048&page=5

They said to get more aggresive on the descent, so I thought it meant to go faster. I think I mistook what they were saying. The pain is usually worse on the day that I do the squats. It usually aches when I do a squat-like movement but it sometimes aches out of the blue. Sometimes it feels as if someone were stabbing me with a very thin knife.

Take a wider stance, don't turn your feet out as much, initiate the lift with your hips (not the knees) and sit back into the squat. Keep the weigh on the mid-foot/heels.

If you have Starting Strength, read the chapter on the squat. Look up Rip's squat instructions on youtube.

Original Poster -how do your knees feel now several months later? If better, what did you do to correct the pain? The thing I thougth at looking at the videos is that your knees might be too far forward during your worksets due to not "sitting back" into the squat. Also, it looks like you lock your knees pretty tightly at the top after the ascent, but it's a little hard to be sure. This too, could aggrevate the knee. Best of luck to you...