starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Rip.

Could you please take a look at my deadlift form?

I had some lower back pain from deadlifting last week and wanted to know if you can see anything in this video causing it.

Thanks,

- Fred

You have set the camera up so that the plates obscure a great deal of what you are doing. However, it does not appear that your back is rounding. I can't tell if you are overextending your spine at the top, once again, because of the plates. You occasionally start with your hips too low and you bend your knees at the top of the lift, but those are rather minor and easily corrected. As for your back pain, there's nothing obvious I can see from your video.

Thanks for taking the time to look Tom. I'll post a new video filmed from a different angle next deadlift workout.

Fred,

Perhaps you can describe the nature of your pain? Some people have minor aching / pain from the spinae erectors when starting deadlifting properly because they are actually using / exercising them properly (in isometric contraction rather than concentric / eccentric contraction). Also, some folks have issues as they increase in size due to being exercised. Most of these pains go away over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in ATL View Post
    Fred,

Perhaps you can describe the nature of your pain? Some people have minor aching / pain from the spinae erectors when starting deadlifting properly because they are actually using / exercising them properly (in isometric contraction rather than concentric / eccentric contraction). Also, some folks have issues as they increase in size due to being exercised. Most of these pains go away over time.
    I was deadlifting early in the day and the pain didn't start before the evening. I'm not sure if the pain was in my spine or in the lumbar muscles around it to be honest. The pain was just above the tailbone, each side of the spine. It got worse when sitting down. Didn't feel any pain when bending over. Stretching / mobility exercises seemed to help temporarily.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I was deadlifting early in the day and the pain didn't start before the evening. I'm not sure if the pain was in my spine or in the lumbar muscles around it to be honest. The pain was just above the tailbone, each side of the spine. It got worse when sitting down. Didn't feel any pain when bending over. Stretching / mobility exercises seemed to help temporarily.
    Foam rolling with a tennis ball.