starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Help Me Improve My DL

Default Please Help Me Improve My DL

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    It feels like its getting worse as the weight is getting too heavy. I had to switch to mixed grip for the last set because the bar was slipping out of my hands. Please note that it does not usually take me this long between reps (especially the last two). I think that Im just not strong enough yet to be lifting this much, not to mention that I squatted (what is heavy weight for me) earlier in the workout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAZSbzDFveY

Edit: looks my arms aren't vertical enough from the start.

Arms should not be vertical anyway.. Those looked good to me man. That is as vertical a bar path as you can get, you set your back well, shoulders ahead of bar, hips high, and everything was tight. You may have lost your tightness on the last one or two but if that is heavy for you it wasn't a deal breaker. Hard to tell if your pulling the bar in to your shins at that angle, but consciously think about using your lats and pull the bar in to your shins and legs the whole way up. Keep being awesome.

Yes, pretty much textbook deadlifts. Rep #4 you didn't quite lock out 100%.

It looks like you're at a point where the deadlift is just going to always feel heavy. It actually isn't that heavy - you think you're taking a lot of time between reps, but you can expect it to stretch out a lot longer as the weight gets heavier. I sometimes take 15-20 seconds between reps to let my heart rate get back down.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    Yes, pretty much textbook deadlifts. Rep #4 you didn't quite lock out 100%.

It looks like you're at a point where the deadlift is just going to always feel heavy. It actually isn't that heavy - you think you're taking a lot of time between reps, but you can expect it to stretch out a lot longer as the weight gets heavier. I sometimes take 15-20 seconds between reps to let my heart rate get back down.
    How long do you think you have to wait for a set of 5 to turn into clustered singles?

Those looked good. Nothing wrong with using mixed grip for the whole set, and you don't need to alternate which hand is supinated between each rep. Other than that, they were fine and you are strong enough to be lifting that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Subsistence View Post
    How long do you think you have to wait for a set of 5 to turn into clustered singles?
    I don't have an exact number. As long as you keep your hands on the bar, I would say < 30s between reps counts as one set. If it's getting close to a minute between reps, I would probably count it as singles.

Thanks to all of you for your feedback. It inspires me to go back and keep adding weight.

Shit man, you're nowhere close to counting them as singles. I take way more rest than that between reps, and I stand up to catch my breath. I think keeping my hands on the bar is a dumb rule, I can catch my breath easier standing and just holding the position is tiring after heavy deads. Not moving your feet is better criteria, but don't let 2 whole songs pass by over the course of a set of five lol.

EDIT: not to mention my bar sucks and my hands are sweaty so I need to chalk up every 1-2 reps

Stop deadlifting in oly shoes?

starting strength coach development program
    What shoes should i wear for DL? Im wearing Rip's squat shoes in this vid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast