starting strength gym

Thread: deadlift form check

Default deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QejztDq1dnU

knees breaking too early on the way down?
    Back not as tight as it could be?

Don't have the book? Thats ok.

The set up:

-Stand up straight with the bar positioned over the middle of your whole foot. Should place the bar about an inch or two away from your shins.
    -Without bending your knees reach over and take a grip on the bar as close to your legs as possible. DONT move the bar.
    -Bring your knees forward so that your shins now touch the bar. Dont lower your hips, Dont move the bar.
    -Squeeze your chest up and bring your lower back into extension, take the strain on the bar, Dont move it.
    -lift the bar by with your chest up and drag it lightly against your legs all the way up.

Your set-up is all over the place on your first rep, bar too far forward, hips too low, back angle too verticle. After this your body assumes the position it would like to be in when lifting this weight off the floor. Watch and see.

Thanks!
    Notes saved for easy reference the next time I do this. If I pull the bar up to my shins before I bring my hips down then I end up pushing it forward with the shins anyway so I think I was just coming down early to avoid that rolling...
    I do have the book, I should read it more often.

Can you take a video from a higher up angle, and a little more side-on?

Look at what happens to your back angle right as the bar leaves the ground. Also notice how your legs are almost completely straightened by the time the bar gets up to knee height (related to first point).

Don't touch and go with your deadlifts. Set it back down on the ground completely at the end of each rep and set up for the next rep.

Thanks Mike, noted. I will try for a better taping position on the next DL day, Thursday.

Okay, today I went in and really paid attention to where the bar was. The middle of my foot is much further back than I had previously assumed...So it felt really strange mostly because without moving the bar my shins run into it almost instantly and I can't really get my hips down further without rolling it out. Is this just a short torsoed sad story or do I need to find a way to force those hips down?

Here is a lighter set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7NP7T5ywlo

That looks pretty good. It would be good to see some more videos of what happens to your form when you up the weight. Your lockout can be tightened up some.

Okay, today I went in and really paid attention to where the bar was. The middle of my foot is much further back than I had previously assumed...So it felt really strange mostly because without moving the bar my shins run into it almost instantly and I can't really get my hips down further without rolling it out. Is this just a short torsoed sad story or do I need to find a way to force those hips down?
    Yes that's a very good observation. There's nothing wrong with your proportions - for virtually everybody, if the bar is going to literally be over the midfoot, then the shins have to be very vertical and the bar has to basically be as far back as it can go, and in that position it becomes very problematic to lower the hips to a strong position, as you saw. For that and a few other reasons, I think it works much better to start with the bar slightly forward of midfoot. Definitely keep playing around with it.

Thanks again Mike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1K3eZcKmK8

Very last set at 177 today.

starting strength coach development program
    Oooh I've been so engry!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvOQtB6Fu4s --beware of music/turn off sound

I'm feeling like I should reset everything, maybe put it up on a training log here. I'm just pushing through all my lifts with white hot anger and everything except for the bench and the deadlift have been hovering in the same place for an ever.

Anyway, deadlift, thought about carefully setting up, knees bring shins into contact, squeeze everything up and back, sit back and pull...from then on it was GET DONE!!
    I've been seeing too many videos of strong people setting/ slamming the bar down with clean and quick efficiency and I want that. I can't really slam these plates though as a number of them already have big cracks in them.
    Last edited by hambulance; 04-18-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: loud noises