starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I have buttwink?

Default Do I have buttwink?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

I was told that I had the "buttwink". I searched it up on the forums and I still can't tell. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't think you do.

Your squat has a few problems which include some lumbar flexion and general looseness at the bottom. You are also trying to stay too upright. Lean over more, tighten down, and drive the knees out. The term buttwink is not terribly meaningful and should be avoided. Lifting shoes should be high on your list of things to purchase.

Buttwink is not your biggest problem. Your knees come forward a ton in the hole. You need to learn hip drive.

What, exactly, is buttwink? I thought I had buttwink on one of my squat vids, but was told I didn't.

"butt wink" is a term used to describe when your hips cave under you at the bottom of the hole. It vaguely looks like that would happen if your rear end was an eye and you were winking.

Just stop using the word because it doesn't really mean anything and the supposed problem it represents is not actually a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Just stop using the word because it doesn't really mean anything and the supposed problem it represents is not actually a problem.
    Agreed. There's a guy at my gym who "buttwinks" but manages to squat well over 400 lbs, so who gives a shit?

If TBone doesn't come in here and start threatening to beat people with a stick for using that terrible, meaningless word, I'll do it.

starting strength coach development program
    i don't know if you have buttwink, but i do know that you don't have shoes on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast