starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I actually did videos that day of some lower weight lifts too. Just didn't post them cause the guidelines said not to.

But here's a 143 lbs lift and a 187 lbs one:

http://youtu.be/GYRTm3mAoFQ
    http://youtu.be/fm8wuUicJN4

Can you see if im getting too bent over on these sets too? I have a hard time judging it!

As for the dropping the weight, i don't have safety pins, so couldn't really drop it in any safe way.

Oops sorry, by "dropped" I meant "reduce" :-) I meant that you should have reduced the weight to work on your form, especially with new shoes, as the heel would probably alter the mechanics of your squat and require some adjustments.

Oh lol, that makes so much more sense too! Haha

I'll reduce the weight some tomorrow then to adjust my squat to my new shoes.

But from the videos i just posted (of warm up sets), does it look like its a general technique issue, or cause the weight was heavy?

It's annoying me sooo much that i can't seem to break through this 100 kg / 225 lbs / 2 plates plateau without getting bad form. I don't understand why i'm stuck here, when im a pretty big guy, 6'3", 211 lbs.

Eeeh.. Accidentally reposted :/

But warmup lifts:

Can you see if im getting too bent over on these sets too? I have a hard time judging it!
    Last edited by rasmusDoh; 05-01-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Can you record a set at 187 with you looking down and standing fully upright, and not relaxing as you get down into the hole? You need to tighten everything up. Record a set from the side so you can see the bar path, and another from your front to check your stance.

Okay, i'll try that tomorrow! I'll make that my new-shoe adjustment training then.

Do my arms look okay, i.e. not seeming to cause any un-tightening or something cause of wrong barbell placement?

And do you mean i should stand fully upright before i even do the first rep too. As in, im not standing upright enough before the first rep on the 187 video?

That's correct - you should start and end each rep with your hips and knees FULLY EXTENDED. You will lean forward from the ankles to keep the bar over your midfoot. Get your starting position correct and I suspect it will be easier for you to control your back angle, as you won't be fighting so much to keep the weight off your toes.

Oh, and to answer your question, your arm position is good.

I did my best to follow your advice, and filmed the stuff you asked for.

Fact: I sucked today. Even with these 187 lbs i had horrible form on most reps today.

I've attached my 132 lbs warm up set and my three 187 lbs work set (where the last one is filmed from the front).

My own comments:
    1) Work set 1: Bending a lot on rep 2, almost falling (as i explained i also did last time) on rep 4
    2) Work set 3: The weight felt very unstable / unequally distributed on each side. I feel like you can see this too, i'm falling to one side. I triple checked, and there really was the same weight on both sides.
    3) My heels started to hurt during the last sets.
    4) My left upper-arm started to hurt, almost cramping as in i could barely write (i write with my left hand).
    This has happened several times lately from squatting, which is a weird exercise to get arm pain in i'd think.

Point 1) and 3) might be because of my new shoes, but i don't understand why i'm getting so much trouble from these shoes
    Point 2) and 4) could have something to do with me having had rotator cuff surgery (like 21 months ago), which means that my left shoulder still lacks flexibility. So dunno if i'm holding the barbell wrong, causing my arm to carry some of the weight in some way. And causing point 2)

That was all i could think of, but seems like there's plenty of problems in these sets to fix. Hopefully it'll come down to fixing just a few important things.

I wrote on a piece of paper to "Look down", "Knees out", "Stand up straight at start/end of rep", "Don't lean over too much", "Tight back"
    Looked at the paper before each set, but don't feel like any of my reps had me doing all of that in one beautiful rep

starting strength coach development program
    This is an improvement. Some things to work on: you have a tendency to over-exaggerate your lumber arch. You need to tighten up your abs, brace your guts as if someone is about to punch you in the belly. Perhaps you lack kinesthetic awareness of what your lower back is doing - Rip has a platform video in the Resources section that may help you.

Your stance is probably an inch wide - bring your heels in so they are directly under your shoulders.

Your knees are collapsing coming out of the hole. Shove em out.

Overall, I think you will need to reset and reduce the weight by another 10%, to work on keeping your knees out, and keeping your abs TIGHT.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast