starting strength gym

Thread: Form Check - Cleans

Default Form Check - Cleans

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Well its my first post and I'm glad to be here! I've been a wuss and have been avoiding cleans, because I just flat out don't know how to do them. So after watching youtube videos, reading Starting Strength, and reading numerous posts on the internet, I decided to try them out.

You'll notice the weight is light for right now until I get some feedback on my form. Watching the video, they were a lot less explosive than they felt, and I know I'm supposed to "jump/shurg" a little, but I didn't quite feel comfortable with it. Thanks in advance!

http://youtu.be/-SbnT17KRt4

EDIT: Also, am I supposed to do a full ATG squat or just 1/4 squat? I've seen videos of people doing both. Is one better than the other or is it just preference?
    Last edited by TheFuzz1290; 05-17-2012 at 12:11 AM.

Okay after posting on BB.com and getting some feedback, I can see my form is all jacked up. I'd still like some suggestions on what I can do to make this better...though I think I'll just have to find someone to learn from (hard to do at 0100 when I go to the gym lol).

You are doing an upright row, catching the bar in your hands, and not touching the thigh. You need to keep the arms straight, touch the thigh and jump, and rack the bar across your deltoids. I would highly recommend picking up a copy of Starting Strength. Rip's DVD wouldn't hurt anything, either.

Maybe you could try to get in contact with Steve in ATL, I think he has a lot of experience running pulling camps, and you will definitely pick this up faster with a good coach than trying to figure it out on your own.

I'll see what I can do. I talked to a few guys I work with, one who was a PT for years and another who ran a Crossfit knock-off program and they both agreed to help.

I also joined the site too late and missed the latest Atlanta clinic, I'll have to make the next one.
    Last edited by TheFuzz1290; 05-18-2012 at 12:47 AM.