starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Press Moment Arm Help

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Since we can only see 1/4 of your body there's not a whole lot we can help you with. Why are you still doing the strict press?

Make sure that your head and feet are in the frame at all times. This means you may have to back up a good way from whoever is lifting.
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...rm-checks.html

God bless, Gus, you don't have the equipment but you are doing your best with what you have. The position of the saw horse or whatever it is, is as you know too low for a proper lift. I don't know if you have anything to adjust it higher or not but that would be helpful. You do start out too far away from your body and that makes it difficult to get much thrust or much power from it. Hence what you are doing is not a proper 2.0 lift and it makes most of the weight too far forward. Are you any where near a gym or fitness center that has a rack? Are you able to find someone who has a proper rack or can you afford to buy one?

I sent a Private message.
    Last edited by carson; 11-25-2015 at 01:15 PM.

Thank you all.

Carson, I think I could find a way to raise the saw horses. And I think you might have inadvertently answered Amsgator's question for me. I really tried the 2.0 press but found I felt I was losing effort when I attempted the hip thrust, so I moved to a strict press where I felt I had less loss of force. It makes since that with the bar too far forward I was nullifying the benefit of the hip snap.

I'll work on bringing the bar closer to the chin and face, reincorporate the 2.0 hip snap and get a better video posted to confirm I have the right bar path.

Bob g is a wonderful man who lives not terribly far from you. He isn't a certified coach but he could become one. He's quite good. Check out his log. Contacting him might be of great benefit to you. bob g goes TM

I'm glad I was able to give a little insight to you for the Press.

Default Press Moment Arm Help

I think raising the sawhorse (or the bar however you can do it) may also help with getting the bar into a better starting position. Since it's so low now you might have trouble starting with the bar high enough, and close enough.

Thank you both. I'll find a way to get the saw horses raised up over the holiday weekend. It is low. I am dipping to get under the bar. I'll also check into some gyms in the area and see if I can find one that would allow me to drop the weights under control. As you both probably know dropping weights is something some gyms frown on but needed for heavy cleans or dead.

Carson, I sent a quick not to Bob g privately to see if we could connect. Thank you for the lead.

PM inbound.

I don't know what your finances look like, but you might be interested in either of these racks if you're able to save up at all.

Power Rack - $289.00 SHIPPED

HD Power Rack - $399.00 SHIPPED

Thanks for the tip. Those are both in the range of something I could save up to. These are much more affordable than the heavy duty stuff I've found (mostly Rogue equipment) and sturdier than the lower cost manufacturers I've found (insert a bevvy of low quality squat racks)

Default Press Moment Arm Help

starting strength coach development program
    The HD rack is a great rack. It's a Rogue R-3 clone. It's got a few differences like being painted rather than powder coated, but the consensus is it's excellent for $399.

Lots of info here if you've got time to read it.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ower-rack.html
    Last edited by amsgator; 11-25-2015 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Link

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12