starting strength gym

Thread: About shrugging at the top of overhead press

Default About shrugging at the top of overhead press

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm not really good with technical terms so this is what I understand from reading The Book, regarding the lockout and shrugging at the top of overhead press: we shrug just after we lockout, so that we don't injure our rotator cuff.

My question: If my shoulders has gone through the part of the range of motion that is harmful for the rotator cuff, how does doing something at the end of it can help?

I meant, after the shrugging then my shoulders are safe but what about before?

Sorry if it's a silly question. Thanks in advance for any insights.

A video might help.

No sir, it's not about form check or how to shrug ( i think i will be posting one pressing video of me in the next week or so though). It's about me not really understand the "how" before the shrug.

If anyone can explain it to me in layman's term I will be grateful.

I haven't been able to press for over a year (expect for about a week), but I've wondered about something similar. I can't seem to get from the shrug back in to retracted position without my shoulder flopping about on the way down. Regardless, is it supposed to be fluid? If not, then it isn't clear how the shrug helps do anything but limit the duration of impingement. Perhaps that's enough. . . If it is supposed to be fluid, then I guess I just need to practice when I'm able to finally press again. (I haven't read the press section in SSBBT3 for a long time. So I might simply have forgotten the explanation. I'll read it again soon. . . .)

There isn't any impingement in a properly done overhead press. The scapula rotate throughout the motion. Shrugging up at the top finishes the press in a stable position in which impingement isn't possible. But the simple fact of rotating scapulae make impingement during a press really hard to do.

Your misconception is that the shoulders have gone through some dangerous part of the motion. They haven't. No part of the overhead is dangerous, because the scapulae freely rotate up and get the acromion and coracoid processes out of the way.

You're more likely to impinge your shoulder in a bench press than a press.

starting strength coach development program
    I think lat engagement is the important thing and that a shrug makes you engage the lats. If you don't engage the lats, you might hurt your shoulder. I think that is what happened to me today when I lowered the bar too fast. I also think that it may have been because I got stuck in the middle of a rep and maybe that is a dangerous thing to do.