starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    You definitely need to rest longer between sets. 5 minutes is probably the bare minimum for folks early in their progression. I suggest you try resting 7 minutes between work sets. This by itself will probably help you resume progress.

Onto technique issues.

1- You need to get the bar just beneath the spine of your scapulae and on top of your posterior deltoids. Consult the big blue book, it goes through the bar position in detail. Regarding your wrists, they should be straight, but this is something to fix after you get the bar position correct.

2- Yes, work on getting your head down as well. You want your head right in line with your torso. Think of holding a tennis ball between your chin and your chest.

Work on these things and keep plugging away!

Is this better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajDqbnp0u_A

I think I've fixed my bar position, back angle, and neck gaze. Though upon reviewing it, it looks like I'm still letting my hip dip down at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Tully View Post
    There are three questions you should always ask yourself when you get stuck: 1- Are you eating enough? 2- Are you sleeping enough? 3- Are you resting enough between sets?

Regarding #1, 2800 calories may not be enough. Eat more, I'd say 3,500 calories, and see what happens. What about #3? How much are you resting between sets?

Onto technique. There are a few things you can fix.

1- Bar position. I think you can get the bar an inch lower on your back, and this will result in an even less vertical back angle.
    2- Look down. You are looking forward.
    3- Cut some depth off. You are squatting excessively deep, dropping into the bottom and losing tightness there. (Do you see how your descent speeds up the last few inches at the bottom?) Ideally you would squat just an inch below parallel, staying tight while there, and then shoot back up.

Finally, make sure you stand all the way up and lock your knees and hips BEFORE you start your first rep. You are starting your first rep on each set from a quarter-squat position.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelwcarper View Post
    Is this better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajDqbnp0u_A

I think I've fixed my bar position, back angle, and neck gaze. Though upon reviewing it, it looks like I'm still letting my hip dip down at the bottom.
    Stance width is too narrow. Try heels shoulder width apart.
    Your elbows drop with each rep. So think chest up elbows up between reps.
    Good job so far.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12