starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Video link, two sets with 160 lbs.

I started essentially from scratch (I think 120) and got to 200 before I plateaued. First I thought it might be due to insufficient calories, since I was getting ~2300 calories. So I bumped up to ~2800 and kept going in the 180-200 range. I did for about a month, not making any progress, before wondering if my form was off.

I don't have a video of my earlier form, but I think my chest/back were too vertical, and my hip drive was lacking. The video is my attempt to improve that.

Any help is much appreciated.

There are three questions you should always ask yourself when you get stuck: 1- Are you eating enough? 2- Are you sleeping enough? 3- Are you resting enough between sets?

Regarding #1, 2800 calories may not be enough. Eat more, I'd say 3,500 calories, and see what happens. What about #3? How much are you resting between sets?

Onto technique. There are a few things you can fix.

1- Bar position. I think you can get the bar an inch lower on your back, and this will result in an even less vertical back angle.
    2- Look down. You are looking forward.
    3- Cut some depth off. You are squatting excessively deep, dropping into the bottom and losing tightness there. (Do you see how your descent speeds up the last few inches at the bottom?) Ideally you would squat just an inch below parallel, staying tight while there, and then shoot back up.

Finally, make sure you stand all the way up and lock your knees and hips BEFORE you start your first rep. You are starting your first rep on each set from a quarter-squat position.

I think you should switch to low bar squat.

And shoes. Lift in proper shoes.

1. I'll continue to bump up the calories.
    2. For the most part. I get 7ish hours per week night.
    3. Usually 3-5 minutes.

Technique:

1. What's the best way to lower the bar on my back? Should I widen my grip? (I also see that my wrists aren't straight, would straightening them help?)
    2. Well, my eyes are looking down. I need to work on my head.
    3. Yeah, I noticed that my hip pointed downwards a little bit.

This has been very helpful, thanks so much. I'll try to post another in a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Tully View Post
    There are three questions you should always ask yourself when you get stuck: 1- Are you eating enough? 2- Are you sleeping enough? 3- Are you resting enough between sets?

Regarding #1, 2800 calories may not be enough. Eat more, I'd say 3,500 calories, and see what happens. What about #3? How much are you resting between sets?

Onto technique. There are a few things you can fix.

1- Bar position. I think you can get the bar an inch lower on your back, and this will result in an even less vertical back angle.
    2- Look down. You are looking forward.
    3- Cut some depth off. You are squatting excessively deep, dropping into the bottom and losing tightness there. (Do you see how your descent speeds up the last few inches at the bottom?) Ideally you would squat just an inch below parallel, staying tight while there, and then shoot back up.

Finally, make sure you stand all the way up and lock your knees and hips BEFORE you start your first rep. You are starting your first rep on each set from a quarter-squat position.

Quote Originally Posted by blugold View Post
    And shoes. Lift in proper shoes.
    I've considered getting some low-cut Chucks for this purpose. I've been assuming that my NB's soles are relatively hard and flat enough, is that not the case?

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwcarper View Post
    I've considered getting some low-cut Chucks for this purpose. I've been assuming that my NB's soles are relatively hard and flat enough, is that not the case?
    The NBs are not flat or hard. Proper lifting shoes are not flat, but they are hard. Some people like squating in a 3/4" heeled shoe, I am one of them. Others like the flatness of the Chuck Taylors. Despite their squishiness.

The NBs are not flat or hard. Proper lifting shoes are not flat, but they are hard. Some people like squating in a 3/4" heeled shoe, I am one of them. Others like the flatness of the Chuck Taylors. Despite their squishiness.
    If you like flat shoes, get the Asics Hyper Thrower 2 or 3's. They are flat, but they have a really hard sole. Most flat shoes (Chucks, etc.) are just too squishy for me. A lot of shoe stores have the Hyper Throwers, so you can try them on and see if you like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    If you like flat shoes, get the Asics Hyper Thrower 2 or 3's. They are flat, but they have a really hard sole. Most flat shoes (Chucks, etc.) are just too squishy for me. A lot of shoe stores have the Hyper Throwers, so you can try them on and see if you like them.
    I've always wondered what an indoor soccer shoe would feel like.

starting strength coach development program
    I've always wondered what an indoor soccer shoe would feel like.
    They are squishier than the hyper thrower. I checked a lot of different kinds of shoes out before finding the Hyper Throwers. The bottoms are solid. If you push on it pretty hard, it won't even flex. They also have a metatarsal strap.

*I do not work for Asics. ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast