starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and deadlift form check

Default Squat and deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    After a long layoff, mostly caused by injuries that I'm guessing were the result of bad form, I've decided to rejoin the ranks of barbell lifters. I'm back to newb status, and would like some critique on my form. I hope the camera angles are acceptable.

Squat
    Things of note/concern. In the past I start developing pain in the tricep/elbow (as opposed to the forearm side of the elbow which is where most people who get elbow pain seem to get it) area when my squat weight starts getting above about 165lbs, the pain is minimal at first but if I try to work past it, it becomes unbearable by the 4th workout I do squats. I have less mobility in my left shoulder than I do the right, which happens to be the one I miss in the video.
    Also, excessive butt wink? Knees too far forward?

Deadlift

Poocho,

Squat: You are using high bar technique with low bar position. To wit, your torso is too erect, your going too deep (resulting in knees too forward), your gaze is too forward and you are leading with your chest out of the bottom. Review the squat chapter. Sit back and bend over much more, pointing your nipples at the floor. Cut the depth off by 3". Keep your head down. Drive your hips out of the bottom.

Deadlift: The bar rolls forward immediately on your setup, resulting in a bad starting position with hips too low and bar not centered over your foot. Follow this setup procedure: Deadlift starting Position Critique. Finish your lockout at the top.

Yessir, lumbar flexion. That's because your torso is too vertical, you go too deep, you pause at the bottom, in general lose all tightness in your hamstrings and lumbar.

Deadlift, hips higher. Bar close. Don't roll the bar around the floor. Chest up harder.

So I tried to take the advice given thus far as well as what I learned watching Mark's squat videos on this site into account. My first two sets were pretty bad, here's the third set.

For the first two I was still doing things like not looking down enough, going too deep, etc. My knee seems to still be going too far forward, despite trying to sit back as much as I could (could tight hamstrings affect this?). I am trying to lead with my hips, but I'm not sure if I am.
    If any advice could be given for what I have now that would be nice. My next workout I'll probably be wearing weightlifting shoes and have finished rereading the squat chapter of the book.

I agree with those comments that have been given. Your second squat video is a bit better but you are still going a bit too deep hence causing a certain relaxation of the torso at the bottom.

DL: Your hips are too low. Your bar is too far from your shins. You don't seem to lock out at the top.

Keep at it.

As carson said, these are better, but the same comments still apply. Do not be afraid to bend over more at the hips (butt back), nipples pointing at the floor. You break at the knees a tad too soon. Hips and knees should break together, but you may need to overcorrect and tell yourself "hips back" first. Stay in the hips as you drive up (notice how your back angle immediately becomes more vertical in your vid, i.e., you lead with the chest). Stay tighter, big chest. You relax your lumbar at the bottom, while letting your knees move forward. They need to move over your toes in the first 1/3 to 1/2 of your descent, then stop moving forward. TUBOW is the common recommendation for this.
    Last edited by Scott Hanson; 02-14-2016 at 05:29 PM. Reason: additional comment

Did deadlifts today, they look better to me, but I'm sure they can still use improvement. To my eyes it looks like the bar still rolls forward a little bit at the beginning and my hips drop a little too, but not nearly as bad as last time.

I also have Squat videos that I haven't uploaded yet, I don't believe my form has improved at all so it doesn't seem worthwhile to post them. I tried using my foam roller as a TUBOW while doing squats with just a closet bar at home, I thought I got used to the motion like that and went on to Squat at the gym. Still bad.

So an update, yesterday I did squats using an empty wiper blade container as a tubow. It tips over pretty easily so I put extra effort to avoid touching it, my knees were probably half an inch behind the thing (probably placed about an inch in front of my knees, couldn't get any closer) most of the time. Is that the wrong way to use it?

Also the muscles around my left shoulder blade hurt like hell when I just tried to get in position with the empty bar. I racked the bar, stretched that shoulder a bit and tried again. I hope that was proper protocol if that happens?

I was looking down at the leg that had the TUBOW in front, and I believe that caused me to shift more of my weight on that side, my left quad is way more sore than the right.

I wasn't able to find an unused box/stool to prop my phone up to get a decent angle for videos, so no way for you guys to enjoy my silliness this time.

starting strength coach development program
    I think I finally figured out how to sit back more.

What should i focus on improving at this point?