starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back angle now correct on squats?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Noah, thank you so much, my apologies for the delay.

Bar position video: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...hEd1NKdDhDTU53

Most recent set of squats: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...liTzI5RFlZamJz

I know my knees are sliding forward too far and not finding their correct position and locking in halfway down. Not sure what to do about that, though. I am trying to shove them out far.

Thank you for your help.

The bar looks like it's slightly high. Bar position. Palpate the back of your shoulder and search for the horizontal bony ridge. Walk your finger out to the acromion process. The bar sits BENEATH this feature. If that ridge is a mountain range, the bar sits in the valley beneath it. The posterior deltoid pushes up against that valley forming a crevice to trap the bar.
    Web - IG - FB

Beneath the bony ridge! Wow, thank you. I will try this and get back to you. I appreciate you pointing this out--I read the book a couple times and watched the videos and somehow I still missed this. Thank you for the tip. I will be back in touch.
    G

First of all kudos for getting rid of the box and just going deep. But still a few things..

1. This must be my pet peeve cause I've said it a lot lately. Make your walkout more consistent. You moved or shuffled your feet 8 times before you found the spot and then set there for another 4-5 seconds before squatting. Lots of wasted energy. Should be one step back with right, one step back and out with left, one step back and out with right, big breath, brace, squat.

2. To me you still look too upright and the bar may still be a little high bur hard to tell from the video for sure. Your squat looks very knee dominant. The movement is initiated with your knees and your knees continue to travel forward pretty much throughout the movement. If you look at the picture below to me you look very much like the second picture which is a high bar squat. Hips back from the start, continue to push knee's out, point nipples to the ground (if you really look at the video they aren't quite there yet).

I really think overall not too bad and much improved from first video, break and hips and knees at same time, hips back, just may need a little more forward lean, a little more knees out, and a little more hip drive in my opinion.

Ha sorry didn't see Noah's and some other post before I posted, I think I only read the first page. Didn't mean to just repeat what everybody else said lol.

Don't get bogged down in minutiae. You have two basic problems - first, your back angle needs to be more horizontal (nipples to the floor immediately) and second, you need to get a bounce out of the bottom, which you currently are not. Knees way out, ass way back, and think up up up before you hit the bottom.

starting strength coach development program
    Nice people, I am back and I hope better than ever. Thank you for ALL your help, I will think about you each time I squat.

I watched the video on bar position and now have the bar situated below the bony ridge, wedged between my deltoids and traps. It feels strong, feels great.
    I believe my back angle is improved.
    I have improved my walk-out a drop. Still do a little shuffling, but less. Will continue to improve this.
    I am still bobbing my head a bit, but I think better.

These videos were my work sets, 270 and 265. I did 5 x 270 and was kaput for the night, but then I deleted the last rep of my set when I was cutting the video. I wanted to post a full set of five squats and to motivate my lazy self to do one more set, I took off 5 pounds as a treat.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...TZMSkx5X3V4TzQ

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...S1aRGVvdlNSeWs

Thank you for all your help. I am still very eager for helpful suggestions.

G

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12