starting strength gym

Thread: My squat says good morning!

Default My squat says good morning!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    ...and other wonderful things to me.

Videod this second set at 190 after my first set produced some lower back pain. I can guess why, lumbar instability, movement. Third and fourth look like too much lean. My guess is that I'm not stabilizing my core to transfer power to the bar.

Also seems like my knees are collapsing on the ascent as I struggle with the rep.

I attempted 205 last Monday and Wednesday, this was a deload...not encouraging to see the vid.

Comments appreciated.

July 29, 2016 - YouTube

From the angle and crop of the video, it doesn't look like you're leaning over too much at all. I do think you aren't staying very tight, though, especially at the bottom. That loss of tightness (as you suspected) might be causing your back pain. Or it could be those running shoes. Or both.

It also looks like you're shifting your weight around on the way up, maybe favoring a stronger side? Your last two reps show that with some torsional twist that you can see from looking at the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    From the angle and crop of the video, it doesn't look like you're leaning over too much at all. I do think you aren't staying very tight, though, especially at the bottom. That loss of tightness (as you suspected) might be causing your back pain. Or it could be those running shoes. Or both.

It also looks like you're shifting your weight around on the way up, maybe favoring a stronger side? Your last two reps show that with some torsional twist that you can see from looking at the bar.
    Where I noticed pain was just at the point where I got stuck a bit on the rise, say 6-10 inches from the bottom. I feel like the weight got a touch on the toes.

Not running shoes, metcons (crossfit shoe I guess?). I have Romaleos on order, should be here in a week!

Favouring my strong side is a possibility. Can't really remember doing that though, as I was just focused on not getting stapled on the last three reps!

It looks like your hips are rising faster than your chest on the later reps.

Focus on staying tight and keeping a constant back angle on the way up. Control the weight, don't let the weight control you. If you can't do this, drop the weight until you can do it, then work back up to heavier weights.

Warning - I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but a SSC gave me this advice when I was doing what you seem to be doing.

In addition to what others have said: Unless there's something wrong with my playback of the video, your descent has two speeds, the first part is nice and controlled, then for the last 6 inches you just free fall drop. For now, while you are working on form, control the entire descent, do not free fall into the hole. Some people are able to have a rapid descent under control; currently, you are not one of them. Controlling the descent will allow/force you to retain your muscular tightness throughout the rep. Also, too me it looks as though you are overextending your back on the ascent, perhaps as an overreaction to losing tightness at the bottom. Get tight at the top and hold it for the entire rep/set. On a minor note, your elbows are a little high and wrists could be straighter in line with forearms.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the responses. Reviewed also with my ssc and he agrees, it's lack of tightness in my midsection. Will practice and resume!