starting strength gym

Thread: deadlift lower back slightly rounds

Default deadlift lower back slightly rounds

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm having issue with my lower back rounding during the deadlift. Even on weights that are light. I try to squeeze as hard as possible, trying to bend the bar around my shins, but still having this issue.

here is my log: heavyiron8 training logs

Currently, I am squatting more weight than my 1x5 deadlift. Even though I can deadlift more, I really don't want to until this lower back flexion is fixed. Granted, this was after 3 heavy sets of squats.

Would paused deadlifts help at all with the lower back weakness?

Do you have conscious control of your spinal erectors? Check that first.

Lower Back Position Control with Mark Rippetoe - YouTube

I do. I've seen the video before. I use the "try to shove your dick into your knees" every time I set up. I think it's a lower back weakness issue, I'm not sure what's better at this point, take a massive deload on deadlift and slowly work my way back or do paused deadlifts. SS has me deadlifting only once a week, and I feel like it's just not enough practice

The first rep is the only one where you really try to extend your back. I seriously think you should just try harder, it should not feel natural, I would expect it to feel ridiculous. Try really, really hard.

What he said. Also, read this: Deadlift starting Position Critique
    You are omitting step 4. Do step 4. If you do step 4, it's probably going to fix the issue. Remember, when you do step 4, it is going to feel uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by tdood View Post
    The first rep is the only one where you really try to extend your back. I seriously think you should just try harder, it should not feel natural, I would expect it to feel ridiculous. Try really, really hard.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDave View Post
    What he said. Also, read this: Deadlift starting Position Critique
    You are omitting step 4. Do step 4. If you do step 4, it's probably going to fix the issue. Remember, when you do step 4, it is going to feel uncomfortable.
    Yep on this. Do you want to see what this means? Go watch Wolf pull and do what he does. Santana's also really good and pronounced with this.

Thanks for all the replies. I filmed a 5 sets of 1 for 305 LBs this time, each rep I show my set up, and I am now trying as hard as I can to squeeze chest up (Step 4). I think the form improved some, but I can still see a little bit of lower back rounding on rep 5. It's a little long this time, so thanks again for looking at my video.

Last edited by heavyiron8; 09-09-2016 at 06:39 PM.

Hi Mr. HeavyIron8,

You are not getting and maintaining tension and tightness throughout your entire body.
    This is why your lower back rounds or caves in. It is not due to muscle weakness.

Try these suggestions:

1) Big Breath
    It appears as though you are not taking a big breath before you pull. This is critical!
    Big air increases internal pressure which helps stabilize your spine as well as generating tightness.
    We should be able to see you taking a huge breath and notice your upper body expanding.
    Try and suck all the air out of the room. This is big air. Little breathes don't work.

2) Brace Hard for a Gut Punch
    After taking a big breath, brace yourself as hard as possible, as if you were to receive a gut punch from Mike Tyson.

3) Squeeze Your Arm Pits Really Hard
    This will place your lats and upper back in tension, and it will even radiate down to your trunk if you squeeze hard enough.

4) Push Knees-Out Against Elbows & Point Toes-Out
    If you push your knees-out against the inside of your elbows and point your toes-out some, you will help lock your back in place and you will increase tightness.

5) Coil the Tension
    Pull on the bar without lifting it (while STAYING tight!), and use this resistance from the bar to increase the tension throughout your entire body.
    You are "coiling the tension" for a pressure build up that is intensely insane, such that you feel like you are about to explode.

If you do all of these- don't be surprised if your eyeballs feel like they are about to pop out!

If all you did was number 1 & 2, I think you'll notice tremendous improvement.
    Good luck!

starting strength coach development program
    Take off that belt and extend your back. Just do it! It shouldn't feel comfortable or easy. It's hard, sack up.