starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Introducting myself / Bench, Squat, Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by omaniphil View Post
    Hi Peter, biggest issue I see here is you're still not keeping a tight back when you initiate the pull, and it gets more and more rounded as the rep progresses.
    I would say he never had the tight back to begin with (but still massively improved over the prior video). Peter, think of these 2 cues when "squeezing" into position: 1) rotate your nipples towards the front wall 2) bend the bar around your legs (activate lats).

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1989 View Post
    1) I thought my back was ok, at least better. How do I fix it? I will re-read the deadlift chapter tonight but I was confident that this time my back was better (my low back pain disappeared, I'm just generally sore and tired now)..
    It's significantly better but can be improved (see my other post).
    2) My eccentric phase is painfully long because I'm not a hundred percent sure how to execute it
    See the deadlift chapter. Simply stand up, dragging the bar up your legs the entire time.

Regarding the squat, I agree with the other comments. Post a video where you've narrowed your stance a bit, put the bar further down your back in the proper low bar position, and leaned over more fully during the rep. Put something on the floor 5' away and stare at it the entire time. You have bad knee slide but let's see what happens with these first adjustments.

Peter, think of these 2 cues when "squeezing" into position: 1) rotate your nipples towards the front wall 2) bend the bar around your legs (activate lats).
    Thanks Greg for the cues! They look very helpful and I can't wait to use them in the exercise.

I'm wondering, how can you guys see that there's a back problem in my latest video? What gave it away?
    I'm trying to learn as much as I can, and one day I hope I'll be ready to help others too.

Regarding the squat, two things changed: I'm now doing a low-bar squat, and I've bought the Adipowers.

I'll upload Squat and DL on Wednesday.

Peter - If you can afford it, you should strongly consider the SSOC (online coaching). Given the difficulty in you getting an SSC to coach you in Italy, this may be a good option. Only getting 20lb of progress for a Novice on your deadlift after 5 months is pretty low...not even counting going from 170ishx5 to 190ishx1. They will get your form squared away, help with programming, etc.

also if you want to coach down the road, you'll learn a ton by getting regular feedback on your own form.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, I'll seriously consider coaching in the immediate future as soon as I get some spare cash to afford it.

As promised....

I realised too late that the camera angles were bad in the squat videos (my gym buddy was shooting), I hope you guys can still see something valuable.

Ps. As I'm typing this tonight (I traned this afternoon) low back pain is back, unfortunately. Low back, slightly left.

SQUAT 1x5x60kg (132 lbs) (difficulty = hard)

SQUAT 1X5X65 kg (143 lbs) (difficulty = near death experience)

DL 1x5x92.5kg (203 lbs) (difficulty = my brain was imploding)

Last edited by Albert Burgess; 02-15-2017 at 02:12 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12