starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Next video, please get a rear oblique at about 45 degrees. We can't properly see depth from this view, which is almost straight on at your back.

You've got some really, really awful knee cave going on. You see how you get them out on the ascent and then, particularly the right one, they almost cork-screw inward? Knees have to track over the toes and stay there. It also looks like your toe angle is a bit to spread outward; bring it in to about 30 degrees. How long have you been taking 5kg jumps? You may have to take the weight down to something more manageable and then work a little bit more gently back up.

Hi yes I did notice the knees on video playback. I've just changed to 2.5kg jumps today as 5kg is becoming unsustainable. Il adjust my feet and focus on keeping my knees out. Thank you both very much. Josh

P.S I'm not admiring myself in that mirror but there is nowhere else to look! Haha

Pick a spot 3-5 feet in front of you on the ground and stare at it for the duration of the set. Looking up is taking you out of your hips.
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeBrew View Post
    P.S I'm not admiring myself in that mirror but there is nowhere else to look! Haha

Here's where I'm at now, got 5 reps first set, then 4 then 4 again. Feeling very heavy! I know that first rep was ugly. What do you think?

Squatting 122.5kg 3rd set 4 reps - YouTube
    Last edited by HomeBrew; 01-09-2017 at 06:19 AM.

Here's where I'm at now, got 5 reps first set, then 4 then 4 again. Feeling very heavy! I know that first rep was ugly. What do you think?

Squatting 122.5kg 3rd set 4 reps - YouTube

Not a coach, but I would say that your feet are still turned out a bit too much. When you compare the squares on the floor to your feet position, it's clear that your right foot (can't say about the left) are turned out 40-45 degrees. I will go out on a limb and say that your feet position is a big reason for your knees caving in.

Are you looking straight down? - it looks like it, but I could be wrong. Try to look a little bit more forward, maybe at the blue thingys just below the mirror. That should prevent the weight from going on your toes, which happens at 0:27. Also, it's just easier to balance the weight when looking 3-4 feet in front of you.

Great fighting on the 3rd rep, btw.

Stance. Stance. Stance. Feet too wide and toes too flared.

I appreciate your angles for video form check, but going forward, put the j-hooks on the other side of the rack and face into the gym.

Thank you guys I will do it and I'l face the other way, yes I'm looking right down that mirror makes me dizzy. Josh

Squatting 122.5KG 3rd set - YouTube

Wow feels a lot better without that mirror! What do you think?

starting strength coach development program
    Squatting 122.5KG 3rd set - YouTube

Wow feels a lot better without that mirror! What do you think?

Knees are a bit wobbly, so you have to focus on keeping them in line with the toes.
    But other than that, I think those looks pretty good overall.

Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast