starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Getting back into it, still very much a novice. Any tips appreciated. Josh

Squatting - YouTube

Check bar placement. Looks like it might be a touch high, just confirm that. Slow down your descent. You are dive bombing these. Get tight. Big valsalva and brace your abzzz. Don't look straight down. Eat all of the food.

You need to stay tight the whole way throughout the movement. At the moment you are shooting your knees forward as you drop into the bottom of the squat which will slacken your hamstrings and make the stretch reflex weaker. You are also going a little deeper than necessary and rounding the lumbar spine, probably due to losing tightness in the hamstrings and needing to go deeper to find the bounce. As Joe said don't like straight down, look a few feet in front of you.

Thank you very much guys. Il work on it! Josh

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B-2KMcu4BdQ

Hi so here is where I'm at now. Some guy tried to spot me haha. I do get some pain in my wrists and elbows so I'm not sure if my hand position is correct? Any thoughts appreciated. Josh
    Last edited by HomeBrew; 11-03-2016 at 04:01 AM.

The angle your back is at on your drive up is the angle your back should get to in the first 1/3rd of the descent. By the time your knees are over your toes your back angle should be set. Also from your most recent video it seems that your stance could be wider. You want your knees straight over the angle of your toes.

1. Narrow your grip on the bar

2. Stand all the way up - hips locked out - at the start and at the top of every rep

3. Unlock hips and knees at the same time. You're starting knees first currently.

4. Equal weight distribution between the ball of your foot and heel at all times.

Your stance width is probably fine. Fix those things and repost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The woman who does not require validation from anyone is the most feared individual on the planet.”
    ― Mohadesa Najumi

Squat 110kg - YouTube

Thank you very much for your input . Here Is my last session, 3rd set, what do you think? Cheers Josh

starting strength coach development program
    The two big things I see are: 1) You need to stay in your hips longer on the ascent; you start leading with your chest pretty early. Keep your chin tucked and stop looking at the mirror, because as soon as you look up at that mirror you stop driving your hips and instead lead with your chest. 2) Knees out HARD. Your knees collapse immediately as you begin your ascent. Your toes are too far out, they look to be 45 degrees in this video. Bring them back in to 30 degrees, then keep your knees shoved out parallel to your feet.

Fix those two and then we can progress to the more minor issues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast