starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat Depth (form?) check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Depth is good on all reps except 4.
    Still some knee slide.
    Elbows appear a little high...not a big deal unless they hurt. Bar may also be a little high on your back...not sure.
    On last few reps, you lead with your chest (evidence by lifting the head)...this is probably what makes them slower/feel harder.
    You may be breaking the knees a split second before the hips.

things to try:

1) Break Knees & Hips together
    2) if thinking about head down doesn't help....then switch your focus to thinking about lifting with the hips. that is what got me to finally fix my head popping up issues after 18 months of problems with it. (for me when it gets really heavy I have to think of something to get through the rep...in light of something to think aobut I would lift my head and just think...get this fucking thing up. Now I think about keeping my hips back & up...and I am so focused on that....I no longer think about my head and it just stays down. YMMV)
    3) Keep focusing on knees out & bending over more. (knee slide occurs because there is slack in the hamstrings allowing the knees to travel forward. this leads to a loss of force production/rebound that can help lift the weight. Bending over more and putting the knees out more...is like pulling on the rubber band form both ends so there is no slack....i.e., putting tension on both ends of the hamstrings). Not sure if that makes sense or not. But it has helped me. And focusing on this helped clear up my head popping up.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by entering40strongerthan20 View Post
    Depth is good on all reps except 4.
    Still some knee slide.
    Elbows appear a little high...not a big deal unless they hurt. Bar may also be a little high on your back...not sure.
    On last few reps, you lead with your chest (evidence by lifting the head)...this is probably what makes them slower/feel harder.
    You may be breaking the knees a split second before the hips.

things to try:

1) Break Knees & Hips together
    2) if thinking about head down doesn't help....then switch your focus to thinking about lifting with the hips. that is what got me to finally fix my head popping up issues after 18 months of problems with it. (for me when it gets really heavy I have to think of something to get through the rep...in light of something to think aobut I would lift my head and just think...get this fucking thing up. Now I think about keeping my hips back & up...and I am so focused on that....I no longer think about my head and it just stays down. YMMV)
    3) Keep focusing on knees out & bending over more. (knee slide occurs because there is slack in the hamstrings allowing the knees to travel forward. this leads to a loss of force production/rebound that can help lift the weight. Bending over more and putting the knees out more...is like pulling on the rubber band form both ends so there is no slack....i.e., putting tension on both ends of the hamstrings). Not sure if that makes sense or not. But it has helped me. And focusing on this helped clear up my head popping up.
    Spot on observations. Some elbow soreness. I have the flexibility so I think I should move grip narrower and keep elbows lower.
    I can feel myself lifting head when it gets hard (which of course makes no sense).
    Will work on bending over more and pushing knees out.
    Up we go past 2 plates towards 3.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12