starting strength gym
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Squat check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My $.02 (first time doing this, so take this with a grain of salt...):
    1: More controlled descent, as JoeJ mentioned. You want it to be slow enough that you can feel the stretch in your hamstrings at the bottom and use it to drive back up. If you go too fast, you're not going to be able to take advantage of that stretch reflex.
    2: Work on getting your hips back earlier. Because your hips aren't back enough, when you hit the bottom of the squat (and especially with how fast you descend), that's bouncing your hips back and causing your squat morning.

But I think point 1 will help point 2 a good bit, and, as JoeJ said, shoving your knees out will help as well.
    Last edited by Charles Jenkins; 01-08-2017 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Said knees when I meant hips.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Disregard Carnivore. He does not believe in low bar back squats. He believes in compression pants and high bar squats. He is often antagonistic on this forum, all for the purpose of being antagonistic. There's an internet term for that sort of poster, troll. So, please don't feed the troll.
    What part of my post was wrong, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    What part of my post was wrong, exactly?
    Generally speaking, you're typically difficult. You also have a hard time seeing the forest through the trees, again generally speaking. You are antagonistic towards the Starting Strength lift models.

Generally speaking, you're typically difficult. You also have a hard time seeing the forest through the trees, again generally speaking. You are antagonistic towards the Starting Strength lift models.
    What part of my post was wrong, exactly? Is he not good morning the weight? His back gets nearly horizontal on the accent and he's being told his back is too vertical. Do you not see a problem with that? I'm just trying to help.

What part of my post was wrong, exactly? Is he not good morning the weight? His back gets nearly horizontal on the accent and he's being told his back is too vertical. Do you not see a problem with that? I'm just trying to help.
    Yes, he became more horizontal on the ascent. Yes, his back angle became more acute. But it was because he got loose on the way down and his knees and hips came too forward. Elephant was too vertical on the descent, but that was a byproduct of other movement faults. Those movement faults have been noted by me and other posters.

That is just what I see and will gladly yield to those with more experienced eyes.

Yes, he became more horizontal on the ascent. Yes, his back angle became more acute. But it was because he got loose on the way down and his knees and hips came too forward. Elephant was too vertical on the descent, but that was a byproduct of other movement faults. Those movement faults have been noted by me and other posters.

That is just what I see and will gladly yield to those with more experienced eyes.
    He has long femurs relative to his torso. This necessitates more forward knee travel. Even Rip has written about that on the shoes article. I know how to spot a long femured lifter because I struggled a lot with that myself. Any less forward knee travel and his back will be literally horizontal. That's the whole point of elevated heels on lifting shoes.

His number one priority right now should be to lift the weight properly on the way up. As I said already, a good rule of thumb is the ascent should look exactly like the descent -- low bar or high bar. By good morning the weight he's shifting the work away from the legs into the lower back which will lead to strength imbalances and will become increasingly harder to fix, not to mention the increased risk of injury to the lower back.
    Last edited by Carnivroar; 01-09-2017 at 10:48 AM.

He has long femurs relative to his torso. This necessitates more forward knee travel. Even Rip has written about that on the shoes article. I know how to spot a long femured lifter because I struggled a lot with that myself. Any less forward knee travel and his back will be literally horizontal. That's the whole point of elevated heels on lifting shoes.

His number one priority right now should be to lift the weight properly on the way up. As I said already, a good rule of thumb is the ascent should look exactly like the descent -- low bar or high bar. By good morning the weight he's shifting the work away from the legs into the lower back which will lead to strength imbalances and will become increasingly harder to fix, not to mention the increased risk of injury to the lower back.
    Great. I'm happy you see something. Fixing the knee movement will get most of the positions correct. There is a back angle issue, it will be fixed, in my opinion, by staying tight, controlling the descent, and using the knees (shoving them out) to control the lower back.

Remember how I said you have a hard time seeing the forest through the trees. You see a horizontal back and scream about keeping the torso up, instead of seeing why the angle became more acute and fixing *that* with simple and effective cues. Like "tighter", "slower", and "knees out." If an SSC comes in and corrects me, then I will gladly and happily learn from them and yield to their knowledge and experience.

Today's efforts. The first two sets don't seem horrible. I need to maintain my back angle, among other issues, in the last. Lighter weight on the work set next time.

s2 - YouTube

s3 - YouTube

s6 - YouTube

I just watched S6 I presume it's the last set...

You've started looking up on the acent. Keep looking down 4 foot or so in front of you. This will help your hip drive!

Keep the bar path more vertical, it's the "Master Cue"

You need to be an inch or so deeper.

starting strength coach development program
    Deload. You're a few inches high. You are also not bracing very hard. Big valsalva.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast