starting strength gym
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Squat check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Have skim read barbell prescription for life after 40 and even for very elderly doing body weight squats it recommends 3x5. But you may only be able to recover from 2 workouts a week. And having stalled myself several times due to not eating enough it really is critically important to make progress. I currently eat large portions at every meal, try to drink 4 litres of full milk a day and make a milkshake of 4 eggs, 2 bananas and some honey and milk for after lunch.

You should read Sully and Baker's new book, Barbell Prescription, about training over 40. It will recommend...

Wait for it...

3x5 squats.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeBrew View Post
    Have skim read barbell prescription for life after 40 and even for very elderly doing body weight squats it recommends 3x5. But you may only be able to recover from 2 workouts a week. And having stalled myself several times due to not eating enough it really is critically important to make progress. I currently eat large portions at every meal, try to drink 4 litres of full milk a day and make a milkshake of 4 eggs, 2 bananas and some honey and milk for after lunch.
    I have read it rather carefully. It starts people on a 3x5 linear progression, but then there's a lot of information on more advanced programming.

There's also a section on caloric requirements on page 159, which provides some rough daily guidelines: per pound of bodyweight, 1.25g of protein, 1g of carbs and just under 0.5g of fat. I eat more than that.

Rip's A Clarification generally limits 4L of full milk to younger skinnier people, but if you're older and it works for you, then you clearly should continue doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by UMRebelCJ View Post
    You should read Sully and Baker's new book, Barbell Prescription, about training over 40. It will recommend...

Wait for it...

3x5 squats.
    Only initially. Read the entire Part III

FWIW, as a bit of history, I worked for a few months with a SSC about a year ago, including programming and nutrition advice. Since then my form has drifted substantially, so I'm trying to get back to good form. If I was starting out, a 3x5 LP would be the way to go.
    Last edited by Elephant; 01-18-2017 at 11:06 AM.

Well you sound like you know more about it than me. But 3x5 is hardly high volume, only 15 reps and you can have a 10 minute break each 5?!

What kind of programming are you doing? Advanced novice? Intermediate?

You're clearly much better at form comments.

Stating the obvious, the idea of programming is enough stress (and recovery) to stimulate a proper degree of adaptation, without creating too much stress. Even 15 reps with lots of rest can be too much. For example, few recommend doing 3x5 heavy deadlifts on a consistent basis.

Quote Originally Posted by UMRebelCJ View Post
    What kind of programming are you doing? Advanced novice? Intermediate?
    Intermediate. Rotating reps of 6-4-2, increasing weight by about 5-10% within a cycle and about 2-3% from cycle to cycle. For example, week 1 do 100x6, week 2 107.5x4, week 3 115x2, week 4 102.5x6, etc.

I'm modifying this for squats until I'm back to good form and fighting to urge to increase too quickly or doing too much.

Here's a set of five.

The main problem I see is a failure to maintain back angle, especially in the later reps. Hips are rising faster than shoulders. Focus on staying tight, master cue, not collapsing at bottom, keeping head down.

Depth seems approximately correct. Perhaps should be a little deeper?

Anything else major?

I appreciate all of the advice in this thread.

Yeah I'd say go another inch but others may say it's just legal. It's a bit hard to see with your black trousers. Check out the depth here- Mark Rippetoe: Coach Rip Squats 315x10 - YouTube

You are not maintaining your chest angle when you initiate hip drive, causing you to lift the chest halfway up. When that happens your hip drive is killed. Fix that and these will feel easier.

As this is heavier you need better balence control. The bar (and you) are swaying about too much. Try to balence better over the mid foot.

Your right toe seems like it should be pointing out same as the other one, 30-35 degrees.
    Last edited by HomeBrew; 01-18-2017 at 03:14 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeBrew View Post
    ...You are not maintaining your chest angle when you initiate hip drive, causing you to lift the chest halfway up. When that happens your hip drive is killed. Fix that and these will feel easier. ...
    Just to make sure I understand, is this advice basically the same as "The main problem I see is a failure to maintain back angle, especially in the later reps. Hips are rising faster than shoulders. Focus on staying tight, master cue, not collapsing at bottom, keeping head down."?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast