starting strength gym

Thread: Yet another squat form check

Default Yet another squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello everyone. These few weeks I decided to brush up my form on the big lifts. I cannot manage to take a 45 degree form video, hence the back and side view videos. Weight was 135 and i need some critique before I bump up the weight.

Back view:

Side view:

From side view, the vertical bar path was not straight. The bar was at the heels in the beginning, but going towards mid foot when I squat down. This was reversed when I go up.

Welcome!

Don't go so deep. Crease of the hip to just below the top of the knee, you will have to slow and control your descent to hit depth consistently. Don't worry about bar path for now, fix your depth and drive your hips UP out of the hole!!

20150820_squat.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Franklin View Post
    Welcome!

Don't go so deep. Crease of the hip to just below the top of the knee, you will have to slow and control your descent to hit depth consistently. Don't worry about bar path for now, fix your depth and drive your hips UP out of the hole!!

20150820_squat.jpg

And I thought I was squatting high. I will fix these. And I am happy to have your reply, coach! I went through alot of threads in this subforum, these few days.

You will learn much from the form posts on this board. Read through the Coaches Q&A and note what coaches have to say about other's lifting technique and you will learn alot. Also, if you haven't done so already, buy and read the book, Starting Strength for Basic Barbell Training 3rd Edition, either paperback or kindle version.

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/forum171/

You will learn much from the form posts on this board. Read through the Coaches Q&A and note what coaches have to say about other's lifting technique and you will learn alot. Also, if you haven't done so already, buy and read the book, Starting Strength for Basic Barbell Training 3rd Edition, either paperback or kindle version.

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/forum171/

Thank you. I have the book. This is my latest squat form. I find it hard to push the hip up without compromising the bar path.

Any improvement?

These look good, I don't see any bar path issues. I see a hint of overextension of the back on the way up; it's more prevalent on later reps. Take a big breath at the top, and lock it down by squeezing your abs hard! Like you are bracing to receive a punch to the gut. Hold that tightness throughout the rep, especially on the way up.

starting strength coach development program
    These look good, I don't see any bar path issues. I see a hint of overextension of the back on the way up; it's more prevalent on later reps. Take a big breath at the top, and lock it down by squeezing your abs hard! Like you are bracing to receive a punch to the gut. Hold that tightness throughout the rep, especially on the way up.
    Still working on the bracing, thanks coach!