starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form

Default Squat form

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

First time here, 1.5 months into novice progression.
    Squats are getting really hard, and felt form breaking down today, felt like the bar moved forward. Had someone shoot a video, its the last working set at 117.5kg (260 lbs). Getting some nagging "pain" in left hip after every set, and also my left shoulder. Couldn't bp after this. Hope you guys got some info for me

Thnx in advance

Squats 117.5kg 14/01/17 - YouTube

These are pretty high, your stance might be a touch to wide, you need to shove your kneese out harder, sit your hips back in the descent then shove them up throughout the ascent, your leading with your chest.

I suggest a 10% deload and work on those things as you build back up.

Maties,

I agree with Dujin that these are not to depth, probably 2" to 3" short. Also, knees out harder, although this isn't terrible. I though hip drive looked pretty good until rep 5. One of the hardest things for people to learn is staying tight and getting some bounce out of the bottom. When you back off and get to depth, focus on bracing very hard (big belly breath, proud chest, abs tight as if your about to be punched) and maintain bar speed - don't slow way down and feel for the bottom. Lots of good things about your squats, but room for improvement. 10% may not be enough of a back-off.

Also, have your camera person remain stationary at the rear quarter angle for future videos (halfway between straight behind and straight to the side).

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Dujin View Post
    These are pretty high, your stance might be a touch to wide, you need to shove your kneese out harder, sit your hips back in the descent then shove them up throughout the ascent, your leading with your chest.

I suggest a 10% deload and work on those things as you build back up.
    I agree with what Dujin says. You can see that you are not getting depth-- "knees out!" is a good fix for that.

It is hard to tell from the video but it seems like you're trunk is loose. If you look at the fourth and especially the fifth reps (they are pretty high) it looks like your back is rounding. You want a neutral spine. Your back should be flat throughout the rep. Make sure you take a giant breath, hold it and squeeze your trunk muscle tight with a neutral spine. That might be the source of your hip pain.
    You might think about getting a belt soon.

In my experience shoulder pain while squatting is caused by your grip on the bar. It is hard to tell whats up from the video. It looked like you might be moving the bar around between reps. Your elbows slightly move up and down. You dont want any slop in there between reps. keep it tight.

These videos might help you figure out whats what with your shoulder and grip:

The Squat - Bar Position with Mark Rippetoe - YouTube

Squat Grip Correction | On the Platform - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hanson View Post
    Maties,

I agree with Dujin that these are not to depth, probably 2" to 3" short. Also, knees out harder, although this isn't terrible. I though hip drive looked pretty good until rep 5. One of the hardest things for people to learn is staying tight and getting some bounce out of the bottom. When you back off and get to depth, focus on bracing very hard (big belly breath, proud chest, abs tight as if your about to be punched) and maintain bar speed - don't slow way down and feel for the bottom. Lots of good things about your squats, but room for improvement. 10% may not be enough of a back-off.

Also, have your camera person remain stationary at the rear quarter angle for future videos (halfway between straight behind and straight to the side).

Scott
    Yeah I felt and saw it. Being honest i think this was first time I missed depth. These numbers had me out of breath for 10min. Maybe a lil scared haha.
    Oke so what kinda back off do you recommend? I feel like it's merely the sheer weight that's causing form break. I do another vid of Leighter weight. And the hip pain, you also recommend slighty smaller stance as dujin. Thnx btw!!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    I agree with what Dujin says. You can see that you are not getting depth-- "knees out!" is a good fix for that.

It is hard to tell from the video but it seems like you're trunk is loose. If you look at the fourth and especially the fifth reps (they are pretty high) it looks like your back is rounding. You want a neutral spine. Your back should be flat throughout the rep. Make sure you take a giant breath, hold it and squeeze your trunk muscle tight with a neutral spine. That might be the source of your hip pain.
    You might think about getting a belt soon.

In my experience shoulder pain while squatting is caused by your grip on the bar. It is hard to tell whats up from the video. It looked like you might be moving the bar around between reps. Your elbows slightly move up and down. You dont want any slop in there between reps. keep it tight.

These videos might help you figure out whats what with your shoulder and grip:

The Squat - Bar Position with Mark Rippetoe - YouTube

Squat Grip Correction | On the Platform - YouTube
    Thnxxx, Def watch those videos. Having shoulder issues as long as i remember. Kinda runs in the family but lately got worse.

Yeah fourth and fifth were terrible. Was kinda wasted and chickened out. I got a belt but its a bodybuilder one.... Got it as a present... One of those smaller in the front. Guess thats not oke right? Any comment on the bar moving forward? I feel like the weight just shifts to the front/toes and as such i collapse, cant keep trunk rigid. Thnxx all

starting strength coach development program
    Fixing the other stuff will probably get you back in balance over the mid-foot. If it doesn't then focus on the "master cue" from the book.

That belt could help you while you wait on a better belt to arrive. Best Belts and General Leathercraft are the prevailing favorites around here, but Inzer is also thought highly of.

Hope this stuff helps you, post a video if your next work sets to see how things go.