starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Novice OHP Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Agree with all the other feedback.

1) Yes - you did get a little loose. Think about systematically tightening each muscle group (quads/hams, then butt, then abs/low back, then upper back & chest, then armpits). This will keep you tight.
    2) I believe PRess 2.0 does have more Olympic carry over, but will defer to someone who can actually do 2.0. After 2 years of trying my hip bounce sucks...I bend my knees by mistke when I do it. So I have stuck with 1.0. But many people are able to 2.0 and like it much better...so give it a try and see what you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan View Post
    Building a completely tight, solid foundation from your shoulders down is really important for a strong press. I think the following very quickly before each rep: wrists, elbows up, chest up, squeeze armpits, squeeze butt, squeeze quads, big air, squeeze abs.

Then the actual movement is: reach hips forward, snap back, and shrug.

You're thinking about this wrong. Strength is a general adaptation. Do the press that lets you get as strong as possible, and then worry about practicing the technique of Oly lifts when you get there.
    I'll give that a go next press workout (Wednesday). A bugger I have to wait that long - I really like that lift, and I have to keep telling myself DTP every time I want to increase frequency.

I had a feeling I was going out on a limb for that one! I'll just focus on increasing the numbers.

Thanks!

Default Novice OHP Form Check

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor45 View Post
    A bugger I have to wait that long - I really like that lift, and I have to keep telling myself DTP every time I want to increase frequency.
    It's not strictly the by-the-book novice program, but Carl Raghavan suggested that I could press and bench at a 2:1 ratio (pressing M/F, bench W) during my novice LP. Probably best to alternate for now, but you could switch to that once you start having to microload your press (which for me was well before I've needed to microload my bench) if you particularly like the press. Which I do, too. There's nothing quite like shoving a heavy weight over your head.
    Last edited by Ryaan; 01-14-2017 at 07:08 AM.

This will help you get your wrists in the right position

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan View Post
    It's not strictly the by-the-book novice program, but Carl Raghavan suggested that I could press and bench at a 2:1 ratio (pressing M/F, bench W) during my novice LP. Probably best to alternate for now, but you could switch to that once you start having to microload your press (which for me was well before I've needed to microload my bench) if you particularly like the press. Which I do, too. There's nothing quite like shoving a heavy weight over your head.
    That idea looks interesting. I am just about ready to order some micro plates because I can no longer do 5lb jumps each workout for Press (bench for me is still very easy/low), so I'll try doing M/F for press for a couple of weeks and see if I can handle it. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12