starting strength gym

Thread: Bench press form check

Default Bench press form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Here is a video of my bench from today - 140lbs, 3rd set - Bench press 140lbs, 3rd set - YouTube

I started SS as a complete beginner in September, 2016 and gained about 35lbs of body weight in the process. Squat, deadlift, press are going up a decent pace.
    But I always had trouble with my bench. As you can see in the video, my arms shake when I unrack the bar and at the end of every rep. The weight isn't heavy for a rep,
    but it is almost at my limit just to unrack and hold on to. Had to reset bench once because of this - the bar feels very unstable and I am not at all confident that I can unrack the weight.
    For reference, my press is at 107.5 and feels easy. No shoulder issues of any kind or prior injuries - just new to benching. I feel silly asking this question, as bench looks like it
    should be the easiest lift to master.

Read the SS book, watched Rip's DVD/youtube videos, went through Jordan's Gripping Matters article and tried endlessly to diagnose what is going on.
    Entire frame is as tight as possible(including grip) and my upper back/shoulder blades are glued to the bench. Please see if I am doing something obviously wrong.

Thanks!

Nice ones! It does look light for you, even with the shaking arms.

Some SS Coach will probably have better feedback for you but here's mine:

- Maybe it's just the angle but always lock out completely before moving the bar from and to the rack. Less chance of killing yourself transporting the bar with straight elbows.

- It doesn't actually look like your shoulder blades are glued to the bench. Retract your shoulders and don't let them fly up along with the bar.

- You could probably engage your lats more, to create a stronger base to press from. Make a more active bridge and think of it as if you're trying to bend the bar into an upside-down U.

- I think you should hit your chest a little further down to make it easier on your shoulders in the long run.

Hope that's useful!