• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    30 male
    170lb
    5'6"
    on program since Dec '16
    Squat 250lbs, Bench 175lbs, Press 105lbs, Deadlift 255lbs

Historically I've had trouble keeping my head down and my depth varies, sometimes I hit depth well and other times I think I'm too high.

Set 1
    R1 looks great to me
    R2 I do some weird twist at the bottom (see hip issues below)
    R3,R4, and R5 look okay to me
    Squat 250 Feb 8 2017 1 - YouTube

Set 2
    Are some of these reps a touch high? R3-R5 especially R5.
    Squat 250 Feb 8 2017 2 - YouTube

Set 3
    I abort my first descent of R1 because it feels very wrong, I think I broke at hips but not knees (something I started doing recently).
    R1 looks good when I actually do it
    R2 looks good
    R3 high
    R4 I struggle and notice my right toes came up.
    R5 okay
    Squat 250 Feb 8 2017 3 - YouTube

I have for a long time had low back pain irritating SI area and squatting often irritates that. More recently I've been recovering from some injury on my right hip and wrapping around to my upper right glute and lower back. It started on a squat + deadlift day and I couldn't walk with a full stride for a few days. I took some time off and haven't been deadlifting. Squatting is still causing pain in the right hip but it recovers faster and I get no hinderance in stride or pain during stride. The muscle just feels very tender and unusually sore. It seems like squatting and deadlifting together just tear me apart.

Can you see anything in my squat technique that I could try to improve?

I realize I need a proper belt and would do well to get a pair of WL shoes. Just not ready for the expense yet, its on the list.

Make the shoes a priority, they will help.

Break hips and knees at the same time and keep the bar over mid foot. This should help find that tightness to bounce off. Your bounce seems weak and you are moving your lower back at the bottom to find it. You could stand to be a bit faster at the bottom.

Homebrew is correct that you need to get lifting shoes. Those trainers are constantly moving around beneath you and making it impossible for you to squat correctly. Go order shoes right now.

Beyond that, there are a few other things you can do...

1- I think your stance is probably just a little wide. I suggest bringing it in an inch or so and pushing your knees out harder as you squat.
    2- Lock all the way out at the top. You never lock your knees. Straighten them all the way out, and squeeze your quads hard.
    3- Get lower more consistently. Many of your reps are an inch high.

But again, get the shoes. It will make a world of difference for you.