starting strength gym

Thread: Big issue with my squat. Video included

Default Big issue with my squat. Video included

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey!

I've read, loved and followed Starting Strength for almost two months now. Thank you so much for this truly amazing piece of art.

But I've run into problems with the squat. I've had the same problem for three weeks now and I'm very hesitant to put on more weight on the bar, and that ruins the linear progression.

Here is a video of my form, working set 65kg: Squat form check - YouTube

I've been doing 60-65kg for almost two weeks now. If I increase the weight to 67.5kg - I can feel my form break and it's a very big problem obviously.

I think the issue is that my ass is wobbling to the right side, so the weight is not evenly distributed between the legs. I'm really trying to push the knees out but it is not helping much. This issue occur when I'm doing 'heavy weight', but it also can occur with very low weight if I do many reps and fatigue myself.

My working sets are currently 65kg and I can feel the imbalance/issue occur on the last reps for every set when I'm getting tired. But to really emphasize my issue I also made a video of 2 reps at 70kg from behind and it's real ugly (this really reveals how my form is breaking). This shows how my ass goes down, then to the right, and then back to the middle again while ascending.

Ugly form break when adding too much weight to emphasize the problem: Problem with squat - YouTube

One thing I note when watching the video now is that when I'm setting up my stance, I'm moving my right foot a few cm's to the side. I also see a lot of wobbling.

Any help and input is much appreciated. Thanks.

Break hips and knees at the same time. Right now you're breaking hips first.

Set your knees in position early in the descent (around 1/3 to 1/2 way down) and keep them there.

Generally looks like you're lacking tightness. Maybe slow down your descent and stay tighter on the way down.

As far as the hip shift, I don't know. It looks like your left knee is out more than the right on the descent and you shift to the right as you go into the hole. Maybe keeping knees out evenly would help, but I am just guessing.
    Last edited by manveer; 02-15-2017 at 10:15 AM.

Look at your feet in the rear video. Are they evenly spaced, i.e., are they the same distance away from the middle of your body?

Also, everything manveer said.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Break hips and knees at the same time. Right now you're breaking hips first.

Set your knees in position early in the descent (around 1/3 to 1/2 way down) and keep them there.

Generally looks like you're lacking tightness. Maybe slow down your descent and stay tighter on the way down.

As far as the hip shift, I don't know. It looks like your left knee is out more than the right on the descent and you shift to the right as you go into the hole. Maybe keeping knees out evenly would help, but I am just guessing.
    Thank you for the input. I will try to adjust the break timing during my next session. I actually went a lot slower when I started squatting, and that really killed the stretch reflex and hip drive. But something I will try again and see how it feels.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Look at your feet in the rear video. Are they evenly spaced, i.e., are they the same distance away from the middle of your body?

Also, everything manveer said.
    Yup, I'm moving my right foot a few cm's to the side, very good point. When under the bar, that feels like the correct/comfortable position.

edit: I meant that my stance looks wrong and I will adjust it next workout.
    Last edited by JTT; 02-15-2017 at 11:02 AM.

Everything Satch and manveer have already said I will ditto.

Also, do you think your feet need better support? I noticed in your video that your ankles/feet seem to collapse in. It is something that you probably do not have control over right now but you would benefit from better foot support to learn how to gain control of it.

Maybe look into a sturdier shoe.

From the rear view it definitely seems that your right heel is not in line with your hips as much as your left foot is. Satch and Manveer are right.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Your video is set to private?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    Everything Satch and manveer have already said I will ditto.

Also, do you think your feet need better support? I noticed in your video that your ankles/feet seem to collapse in. It is something that you probably do not have control over right now but you would benefit from better foot support to learn how to gain control of it.

Maybe look into a sturdier shoe.
    Might need other shoes, good point. I bought these because they were very flat and they are not bouncy but stiff. But my plan is to do this for a long time, so it might be wise to invest in real weightlifting shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanusaurus View Post
    From the rear view it definitely seems that your right heel is not in line with your hips as much as your left foot is. Satch and Manveer are right.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Yup, I have adjusted my stance and i'm now trying to break at the knee/hip exactly at the same time and really pushing my knees out. I will record a new video next workout.

I tried my 'new form' today, and I now have my feet exactly lined up, it helped me hold my knees out a tiny bit better. But I still have problems adding weights to my squats. I've done 65kg now for a few workouts with my somewhat better form, and I tried 67.5kg today. I managed to do one set but my form really got destroyed on the last reps, it felt very bad.

I'm really doing everything I can to add weight to my lifts but progress is just so disheartening.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeBrew View Post
    Your video is set to private?
    I'm going to upload a new video after my next workout.