starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check: Lower back excess arch?

Talking Squat Form Check: Lower back excess arch?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

I've been trying to correct my technique on all my lifts in the past few months, my form for all my other lifts are improving but I'm still struggling with the squat. I have long lanky legs and a short torso.

I'm 6'1, 80kg and 15 years old. My squat got up to 75kg but I have dropped it down 60kg to correct form, but my form is pretty much the same at a lower weight.

I notice that when I squat down and reach the 'hole' I loose tightness in my glutes and on the ascent my hips rise, my lower back archs, my knees begin to shift slightly inwards and then my back rises. Not the best squat form, but I am willing to put in hard work to correct it.

Also, if the video isn't good enough and it does only contain 2 reps because I really wasn't feeling great at all, I can repost another tomorrow when I do my sets. I just thought it would be good if I could get just a few tips to try out tomorrow.

Thanks a lot, all help is extremely appreciated!

Edit: Looks like my hips may be shifting backwards on ascent also.

60kg Squat Form Check - YouTube

Don't throw your ass back so violently. Big breath and brace your abs, your lower back should be ridgid. Slow down.

Yes, you overextend from the get go. Brace your abs hard, then start your squat by pointing your nipples to the floor!
    Last edited by Adam Franklin; 02-22-2017 at 07:12 PM.

Thanks a lot for the replies HomeBrew and Adam, I focussed on slowing down when I break at the hips, taking a big breath, bracing hard and pointing nipples to the floor (this cue really helped).

It worked great, my back angle was much better and I had no excess arch, finally!

Thank you so much guys, can finally squat without a fatigued lower back!

You should also get some lifting shoes.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dujin View Post
    You should also get some lifting shoes.
    Yeah, I went to the city the other day to look for a pair, I swear there is not one store in the city that sells them. Going to find a store online that will let me send them back if they don't fit.

I'm considering the Addidas Powerlift 3's due to their heel height, I don't think I'd feel comfortable with anything higher than what the Powerlift's offer.