starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check Mar 11, 2017.

Default Squat form check Mar 11, 2017.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Depth is still the issue, what do you think.

Bigger valsalver. Brace your abs harder.
    Yeah these are a bit high. Hard to see your stance but looks like it could be too close... that could cause depth issues. Knees out more too. If you need to deload to get to depth, do that.
    Last edited by HomeBrew; 03-12-2017 at 05:51 AM.

It is difficult to see your stance, but I would try heels under shoulders with feet tilted out 30 degrees. It looks like you are trying to stay upright in the squat. Force your knees out and get them to where they need to be faster. You can do this by squatting into the bottom position and having someone put a TUBOW where your knee is. The knee travel should happen in the first 1/2 of the squat and then should not move any further. Also, try hips back more to achieve the back angle. The back angle should be achieved in the first 1/3 of the squat. I think the SS recommended stance will also help with your depth more.

This is what I see, but hopefully a coach chimes in.
    Last edited by koreansavage; 03-14-2017 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by koreansavage View Post
    It is difficult to see your stance, but I would try heels under shoulders with feet tilted out 30 degrees. It looks like you are trying to stay upright in the squat. Force your knees out and get them to where they need to be faster. You can do this by squatting into the bottom position and having someone put a TUBOW where your knee is. The knee travel should happen in the first 1/2 of the squat and then should not move any further. Also, try hips back more to achieve the back angle. The back angle should be achieved in the first 1/3 of the squat. I think the SS recommended stance will also help with your depth more. Rip

This is what I see, but hopefully a coach chimes in.
    Thank you. I had moved feet out beyond shoulders as someone suggested go wider for depth. Yes I have not found the happy spot or rather angle of trunk inclination. I keep thinking more upright and sit back but that does not work merely unbalances me towards falling backward. What I read says sit back and squat well it is not that simple either imho. So I am close to either falling forward or backward. Rip in a vid tells a person aim your nipples at the floor, it I took that literally I'd be on my face on the floor or would need to dump the barbell off my back to prevent it. I know about the TUBOW and have tried it in the past without success so perhaps will re-visit it. I can say my knees need more work in staying aligned with feet out because they don't look like those who squat well, not aligned or squared off is how I'd put it. For me to have a vertical knee and below parallel may just not be possible. I know that knee cap can protrude beyond toe of shoe when at below parallel but setting all early on may also be important even if I exceed the tolerances you've specified. Very much appreciate your feedback!