starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would I get "white lights" on this guy?

Default Would I get "white lights" on this guy?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I get a good rebound on this squat, so even on slo-mo it's hard to pause the vid just right...

Form issues aren't important to me, just confirming depth, to know if I can legitimately credit myself with a new single PR of 365 (3.5 plates; only 5-10lbs off of a 2x bodyweight squat):

trim 90A1C406 926E 4D15 9486 D694CA4E1385 - YouTube

Actual lift is initiated at 33sec.

Looks about an inch high to me. The apex of your hips crease should be parallel with the top of your patella.

My thought during initial viewing was that it was high. Got a screengrab at the bottom:

It's borderline - I doubt it would be 3 whites, and it might not be any. Up to you if you want to give yourself credit.

So once again, I'm having a little issue determining exactly what constitutes "apex of the hip crease" because many of the photos/diagrams out there are a little nonspecific or don't have multiple "pants creases" to interpret. Looking at a screenshot I took at the bottom, this is the line I would draw, but perhaps someone can tell me if I'm off?

Last edited by DannyP; 03-13-2017 at 01:46 PM.

The line looks high to the top of the patella. I'd give this about a 70% chance of getting redlighted in the USAPL meets I compete in.

Quote Originally Posted by cgeorg View Post
    My thought during initial viewing was that it was high. Got a screengrab at the bottom:

It's borderline - I doubt it would be 3 whites, and it might not be any. Up to you if you want to give yourself credit.

Actually, I think your screenshot may have been a tad lower than mine. I used the same line on it, but once again, perhaps I'm looking at the wrong points?

Quote Originally Posted by jbrophy View Post
    The line looks high to the top of the patella. I'd give this about a 70% chance of getting redlighted in the USAPL meets I compete in.

So I'm estimating on that one; all I can tell for sure is that the arrow is that little nub that sticks out near the bottom of the patella. I can't make out the top in an image, but have to guess based on putting my finger on it with my leg straight, then bend at the knee...

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post

The top of the patella is circled here in yellow.

Well, there's the discrepancy... I have that as the bottom of the patella. I wonder if the fact that I take a very wide stance distorts the image as one of us (probably I) see it? When I actually touch my knee, the top of the patella almost folds back into my thigh as the knee bends more and more, and can't be specifically seen on film. Therefore, I have to extrapolate where the top is based on that nub sticking out (which is closer to the bottom based on feeling my knee). Am I doing that wrong?

And to answer your question, I'm not actually concerned with performing in competition per se; I don't compete (except with my own work from weeks past). I was using "white lights" facetiously, as I'm training purely for my own health/strength, but need something to use as a barometer for whether I'm making progress or "cheating" myself.
    Last edited by DannyP; 03-13-2017 at 02:04 PM.

I agree with mgilchrest's labelling. Try a shot with shorts or a singlet to take the guesswork out of it.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, I'll try that. For reference, the red arrow is where I think of as middle or bottom of the patella, while the blue one is roughly where the top disappears into my thigh. Again, this is from feeling around my knee and looking for "landmarks" on the pic... I could be way off, but I'll try it w/o sweatpants and see (though those photos may not make it onto here, strictly for the benefit of viewers everywhere).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast