starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello I'm trying to learn how to deadlift and engrain the 5 step set up- I think I lost extension on the last two reps any and all feedback is appreciated

Untitled on Vimeo

if youre doing sets of 5 you shouldnt be resetting every rep. so keep your hands on the bar the whole set, but they look good to me. (Im a novice)

You're not getting set enough in any of the reps and your flexion gets worse as the set progresses.

Bigger breath, brace your abs/erectors even harder, and squeeze your chest up even more. Get that last 1/8" of an inch of squeeze up, then hold it throughout the rep.

Lastly, be careful of leaning too far back at the top. Just stand up straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia Inman View Post
    You're not getting set enough in any of the reps and your flexion gets worse as the set progresses.

Bigger breath, brace your abs/erectors even harder, and squeeze your chest up even more. Get that last 1/8" of an inch of squeeze up, then hold it throughout the rep.

Lastly, be careful of leaning too far back at the top. Just stand up straight.
    Hiya just a few questions on how to go in from here. Should I lighten the weight and work back up or keep the weight the same till I can do it right?

Also I find it harder to get my back into extension when wearing my belt and oly shoes are these necessary? What would you recommend doing?

Thankyou so much

Mia can override here as she is the SSC, not me.

My thoughts:

1) Try a 3 inch belt if you can afford it. As for the OLY shoes, you can try flats, I recently switched and it is easier to get into extension without them. try both ways.
    2) Before switching shoes though....have done the superman drill from the book (SSBBT), to make sure you know how to actively set your lower back? IF not, do that first.
    3) You SHOULD set up before every rep, but....Cole is right, you keep your hands on the bar. You basically did 5 singles with very short rest.
    4) I'd be careful how close to the edge of the platform you are. As a new novice, you seem to be moving decent weight quickly. Soon enough you'll be in the 400lb range and you don't want to lose balance and end up stumbling off the platform with 400lbs....

keep up the good work

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by entering40strongerthan20 View Post
    Mia can override here as she is the SSC, not me.

My thoughts:

1) Try a 3 inch belt if you can afford it. As for the OLY shoes, you can try flats, I recently switched and it is easier to get into extension without them. try both ways.
    2) Before switching shoes though....have done the superman drill from the book (SSBBT), to make sure you know how to actively set your lower back? IF not, do that first.
    3) You SHOULD set up before every rep, but....Cole is right, you keep your hands on the bar. You basically did 5 singles with very short rest.
    4) I'd be careful how close to the edge of the platform you are. As a new novice, you seem to be moving decent weight quickly. Soon enough you'll be in the 400lb range and you don't want to lose balance and end up stumbling off the platform with 400lbs....

keep up the good work
    The reason we like you to lift in lifting shoes is that is brings the quads into play a little more than flats. Your feet may also feel a little more stable. Not too big a heel though. I concur, you could try it both ways and see how you feel.

The superman drill mentioned above is a good idea to ensure you have lower back control. If you can't, you could also try getting into extension with the weight raised off the floor, then drop it down a little and get in extension again, then drop it down a little more and get into extension again - rinse-repeat until you can set your back with the bar on the ground.

Entering40strongerthan20's comment about the 3 inch belt is good too. Check out: The Belt and the Deadlift | Mark Rippetoe

Finally, if you absolutely cannot squeeze up more, be tighter throughout, and hold your back throughout the rep, drop the weight down until you can. Then build it back up from there.