starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Technique. Low-bar vs Front

Default Squat Technique. Low-bar vs Front

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    About two weeks ago I strained my back doing low bar squats because of lumbar flexion in the bottom position. I have been working on this issue for a while now with little to no improvement. I read online that some people have deeper hip sockets than others which can limit the angle between the femurs and torso causing butt wink. I figured that front squats might resolve this issue since the upright torso would create a much larger angle between the torso and femurs.

I did 3x5 of 225 today using front squats and felt great. Here is a video of me doing a rep with 185. Front squat Form Check - YouTube

Here is what my back squat looked like: Form Check Starting Strength - YouTube

I think the section in SS about lumbar flexion is not accurate. I think hamstring flexibility is not what is causing the butt wink. I am beginning to think it is not so much flexibility as it is hip anatomy. Even if it was flexibility I would guess it would be hip flexor tightness or something else related to hip mobility. The book says that front squat ROM is much harder than back squat ROM so I don't understand why I can hit front squats so comfortably but not back squats.

I would prefer to do back squats if I can somehow get rid of my lumbar flexion because it is a better movement in terms of overall strength and muscle development. However, my injury from last week made me realize it is not worth doing it unless my form is good enough to prevent injury.

If someone has any advice for me to get rid of lumbar flexion besides hamstring flexibility (I can touch my palms to the ground) it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I think that the first recommendation the majority here will give is to find and see a coach. Was certainly helpful for me in the beginning, and arguably, still would be.

I've had issues with the LBBS form and my technique today has some elements of HBBS in it (more vertical back angle, for example) but my low back feels better this way.

Your back is never tight and you keep looking up and down. We can't see your stance width in the video. Please post a better video (rear 3/4 view at hip height).

Greg

The term "butt wink" does not appear in SSBBT3.

I cannot see butt wink. You're wearing pants and we're not that kind of friends.

starting strength coach development program
    Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by catkeson View Post
    I think the section in SS about lumbar flexion is not accurate. I think hamstring flexibility is not what is causing the butt wink. I am beginning to think it is not so much flexibility as it is hip anatomy.
    Before invoking esoteric explanations, it would be good to rule out simpler ones first.
    In your case, from what I can see in the video (and it's not much, as it's shot from across the road, presumably), you never make any serious attempt to set your back and keep it set. You appear to be loose almost from the start.
    I would try to squat with a properly set back and chest first; as someone suggested, having someone competent to help might be useful. Then, if even after a proper effort at this you still lose your lumbar extension on the way back, you can look at other possible causes.

Hope this helps,

IPB