starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've just finished my 7th session in the novice progression, and have started to notice extremely tight hip flexors and a mild lower back burning sensation after squats. I'm wondering if there might be any breakdown with form that may be causing these symptoms to occur. This is my last working set with 190lbs. Also please mute if you don't feel like hearing rap music in the background. Thanks. Squat - Google Drive

It would help us to review your squat and see if there's anything that could cause lower back pain if you do your squats in a t-shirt, not a sweatshirt. It's difficult to see what's going on with the looseness of the sweatshirt. Having said that, I suspect that even if you're not going into flexion at the bottom of the squat, you may be overextending as you come back up. Brace your torso harder and maintain tightness as you squat.

Having a mirror in front of you does not help. You need to be looking at the ground about 6 feet in front of you.

Your back angle is too vertical. Point your chest at the floor early in the rep by shoving your hips back hard, then maintain that back angle as you descend. While your hips go back, your knees travel out and forward and should stop 1/3 to 1/2 way down, then it's all about sitting back and down.

On the ascent drive your hips up, BUT maintain tightness/pressure in your torso as you do so, to prevent overextension. This should help to alleviate back pain.

One last thing, when you take the bar out of the rack, bend your knees and get underneath it so that the bar is roughly over the midfoot, and then stand up. You're taking it out of the rack while bent over with the bar ahead of your midfoot and that's not going to be good for your back.

Hi Mia,
    Thank you for your detailed response! I did my best to try and implement the corrections you said I should do. I've attached an updated video of my last working set from today. One thing I am still a little confused about is my back angle. Do you mean it's too vertical before my descent, or too vertical during the descent? Or both? Thanks again! 20170322_191149.mp4 - Google Drive

I mean your back is too vertical during descent - sorry, I wasn't clear. Actually, your back angle doesn't change much at all, because you don't stand up straight between reps. Constantly bending forward as you do could be contributing to any back issues.

Stand all the way up, with full hip and knee extension, between reps. At the beginning of the rep, point your chest at the floor by shoving your hips back and knees forward/out. This will set your back angle early. Then maintain that angle as you descend.

You've got a little movement in your lower back as you squat. Squeeze your torso harder before each rep and hold it.

Good eye gaze this time. Much better without the mirror.

Your liftoff is still a little problematic. Get your hips under the bar more before you stand up.