starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    The new position can feel funny, but it looks like you did a pretty good job of getting into it. What happens when you start to pull though, is that you lose the tightness and your back rounds. Rather than thinking of the setup and the pull as two different movements, combine the pull with the last step of the setup. When you squeeze, and point your chest forwards, keep squeezing until the bar starts to come up off the floor - then finish the lift. That can help you stay tight through that first part of the lift where you let it go currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Conejo View Post
    Thanks for your reply. No you were very clear, I just got a bit frantic and forgot while someone else was filming me.
    Just keep working at it and you'll be fine

I did another video of me doing the steps slowly and always starting from the dead stop. My lower back is still rounded - the thing is I figured out that the training plates by hammer strength do not fulfill the standard diameter requirement of 45cm and are missing 1cm in total height. So this might be an issue I need to fix next training by putting some plates below to raise the height of the bar off of the ground.

When I look at the video, it seems my hips are too high. Any thought on the current setup? I will post another video where the bar meets the standard height requirement after fridays training.

I did another video of me doing the steps slowly and always starting from the dead stop. My lower back is still rounded - the thing is I figured out that the training plates by hammer strength do not fulfill the standard diameter requirement of 45cm and are missing 1cm in total height. So this might be an issue I need to fix next training by putting some plates below to raise the height of the bar off of the ground.

When I look at the video, it seems my hips are too high. Any thought on the current setup? I will post another video where the bar meets the standard height requirement after fridays training.

Hah! It's actually not bad, like you think!

When you're setting up, I can see you try to intentionally try and flatten out your back and create a small hump. However as you start to pull, notice that the hump flattens out?

Not sure if Mia (or someone else) will have anything more constructive, but definitely looking better than your original lift. I sooo want to give you more tips, but I think at this point, the prudent thing to do would be to just keep practicing.

Yeah, definitely better than before. You could still get a bit flatter in your lower back.

Try to squeeze the chest up, rather than sink your body down towards the bar. Also, try and keep your chin down a bit. Try and bring your chest up to your chin. Think about rotating the ribs forward and up.

At the top, finish your lockout. Stand up straight. Lift the chest slightly with full extension of your knees and hips.

You're getting there.

Thanks you two I'll give it a try and repost after a few trainings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia Inman View Post
    Yeah, definitely better than before. You could still get a bit flatter in your lower back.

Try to squeeze the chest up, rather than sink your body down towards the bar. Also, try and keep your chin down a bit. Try and bring your chest up to your chin. Think about rotating the ribs forward and up.

At the top, finish your lockout. Stand up straight. Lift the chest slightly with full extension of your knees and hips.

You're getting there.
    At what point do you tighten the arms and take the slack out of the bar? I found that when I do this before bending the knees, it keeps my hips higher.

At what point do you tighten the arms and take the slack out of the bar? I found that when I do this before bending the knees, it keeps my hips higher.
    Once you've brought your shins to the bar, taken your breath and are ready to lift. Pretend you're 'wrapping the bar around your legs.' That'll engage your lats and take the slack out.

starting strength coach development program
    If I may jump in on this thread, as I'm also fine-tuning my deadlift form, shouldn't step 4 (fighting to raise chest and setting back tension) be where this happens? For me, when I think this step is accomplished right, the bar feels like it already 'wants' to leave the ground and you feel heavy in the hands.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12